Turbo oil filter[s]??

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
I am using a BW400SX journal brg turbo. WORK Turbo has suggested a -4 oil line. I am considering an in-line filter, and have found this supplier:
http://store.forcedperformance.net/PROD/FP4ANFilter.html
They suggest the filter w/ the .125 orifice.
The ?'s.
1. NE1 using such product?
2. Given the -4 is a 1/4" line, will the .125" orifice become an issue w/ reduced flow??
3. NE1 have a better solution?

I am using a BW400SX journal brg turbo. WORK Turbo has suggested a -4 oil line. I am considering an in-line filter, and have found this supplier:
The ?'s.
2. Given the -4 is a 1/4" line, will the .125" orifice become an issue w/ reduced flow??

I've thought about using a filter on the turbo also. I change my oil every 1,500 miles which is why I haven't bought on yet.

I looked at the products in the link you posted and on top of your question about reduced flow I was thinking if I took my reducer [fitting] off I might cause other problems.

Tnetics voids any warranty if you take it off. Now I know I don't have a warranty because I bought it used and if it is just marketing hype or CYA on Tnetics part to make sure the unit wasn't tampered with.

I guess I could go with the JB style and leave the fitting in, but that could cause other problems. Or I could go with the BB style and remove the restrictor from the turbo hope it's the same volume as what's on the turbo.

I always want added insurance especially since turbos aren't cheap.

The other thing that scares me is if the filter gets clogged it will take the turbo out.

Last edited:
The "trik of the month".:shifty:
A Summit racing 10M fuel filter, [stainless], w/ the -8 fittings built in. Cut the fittings off, drill and tap for a npt/-4, or 6. The bigger flow rate of the larger filter relieves flow restriction.
Big turbos = the -6.
My SX400-SX3 is going to run w/ -4.
My turbo supplier has tested and used the Forced Perf filter. His conclusion it's made for smaller, import apps.
He is going to have his own version in the coming month.

I'm sure Chuck has and the $250 tag has inspired him to fab up his own "turbo saver" for less than half the price.

That's way overpriced for what you're getting.

For 100/150 bucks cheaper you could buy something like this, which has a reusable/cleanable filter element so it's a one time cost and you don't have to spend big bucks on the filter elements and you could drill and tap for a line to the turbo yourself.

If I get one of these or something like it I'll share whatever the results are. If someone else does it I hope they will also share the good bad or ugly.

• $%28KGrHqZ,%21lwFJ5SNWQt5BSefDc0ch%21%7E%7E60_14.JPG
  • $T2eC16N,%21y8E9s2filutBSefDibgkw%7E%7E60_14.JPG
  • $_14.JPG

System 1 Oil Filter 209-512531 Spin On Canister Reusable 512561 30 Microns

Or

PRP10867 Oil Filter, Canister, 13/16 in.-16 Thread, 3.500 in. High,

To each his own I guess. I don't mind spending a little extra for something that works well and simplifies installation.

To each his own I guess. I don't mind spending a little extra for something that works well and simplifies installation.

I don't mind fabricating something and saving money.

Why pay someone an extra 100 bucks when you can make it just as well in less than an hour with parts you can readily purchase??

Most people can run a drill and then tap the hole. Is that worth paying an extra 100 bucks for? I don't think so.

There's more engineering that went into the development of this product than simply drilling and tapping a hole, not to mention the high quality filters that are used...

There's more engineering that went into the development of this product than simply drilling and tapping a hole, not to mention the high quality filters that are used...

To each his own I guess.

Jegs sells canton racing products as well as some vendors who are offering it. I have looked into many systems and believe that there are many ways to reach the same outcome.

Last edited:
I agree there. Many ways to achieve what you're trying to do. Post up your findings if you don't mind. I'm sure there is a lot of interest for a budget friendly turbo protector.

To each his own, correct. Must think I am making a killing on these huh? It's a simple bolt on and no, not everyone can drill and tap stuff and assemble braided lines. This is for someone who wants a no muss no fuss installation. I use this filter setup because it is made the next town over from me and have known the owner of Canton forever. You say an extra hundred bucks but you are not taking into consideration the fittings, adapters, braided teflon hose, brass plug for the stock oil feed line and my time putting these together.

Off to buy another yacht with the fortune I have made.:D

And check the micron rating on the other two filters mentioned. The Canton ones I use filter down to 8 microns, the others?:smuggrin:

And the System one fillter looks like a garbage can.

I agree there. Many ways to achieve what you're trying to do. Post up your findings if you don't mind. I'm sure there is a lot of interest for a budget friendly turbo protector.

I will. I just found something nobody would even think of and it's less than 100 bucks and comes with a cartridge filter that only costs 6 bucks to replace.

It's also compact, only a little over 4"s in height and filters down to 10 microns and flows 40/60 gph.

The other is a compact spin on remote mount system that looks like this and can be used just by changing fittings.

ofk_blk_b.jpg

To each his own, correct. Must think I am making a killing on these huh? It's a simple bolt on and no, not everyone can drill and tap stuff and assemble braided lines. This is for someone who wants a no muss no fuss installation. I use this filter setup because it is made the next town over from me and have known the owner of Canton forever. You say an extra hundred bucks but you are not taking into consideration the fittings, adapters, braided teflon hose, brass plug for the stock oil feed line and my time putting these together.

Off to buy another yacht with the fortune I have made.:D

No offense my man but just because you offer something for sale it dosen't mean that everyone that's looking for that type of product wants to pay the price that it's selling for.

Be a true buisness man and offer more than one option and at different price levels for people of varying budgets instead of complaining about how little you make.

More options means more nickels in your pocket.

I say this with all due respect and hope you take it the way I intended it to come across.

If you could offer a product at say 100 bucks that performs to the same standard as the one you sell for 250 bucks and made 25 bucks on each of them which one would make you more money??

I already know the answer, I've run a buisness also and know that you need to be competitive to survive.

And to answer your other statement, yes lines are included in the price and everything to make it direct fit.

That spin on filter with the adapter is 40 bucks and the line kit in SS is 20 bucks each and fittings 6 bucks.

The whole deal is in at under 100 bucks.

Last edited:
And check the micron rating on the other two filters mentioned. The Canton ones I use filter down to 8 microns, the others?:smuggrin:

And the System one fillter looks like a garbage can.

It filters down to 10 like I said and if a 2 microns difference is going to kill the sale well than I guess you win.

The other important thing is flow that is overlooked by many and is just as important as filtering ability.

Last edited:
The ?'s.

My Bullseye 88MM S450 uses the BW400 bearing section and when I asked Reed If I should restrict the oil he said feed it and let it eat. So I have a -6 line running to the turbo. Because of my Stage 2 pump adapter, I'm using the conventional filter relocation(Turbo saver) and run the line directly off the filter head to the turbo.
I also use a cleanable System 1 oil filter.
Allan G.

I will. I just found something nobody would even think of and it's less than 100 bucks and comes with a cartridge filter that only costs 6 bucks to replace.

It's also compact, only a little over 4"s in height and filters down to 10 microns and flows 40/60 gph.

The other is a compact spin on remote mount system that looks like this and can be used just by changing fittings.

View attachment 219467
That looks like it would be handy in the trans line to save the cooler in case of a tranny failure. Got a link?