Turbo oil return

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
So I'm having an oil leak that im chasing. It looks like it is the oil return from the bottom of the turbo. Do these stock corrogated pipes crack? It looks like it has one that has developed as about three flutes down it is dry then oil coats it below that. I didn't know if this is a crack or the turbo heat that burns the oil off. Thanks for your input.
Next question, is a stock tube a good replacement or do I need the cool guy braided piece? Tia

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

So I'm having an oil leak that im chasing. It looks like it is the oil return from the bottom of the turbo. Do these stock corrogated pipes crack? It looks like it has one that has developed as about three flutes down it is dry then oil coats it below that. I didn't know if this is a crack or the turbo heat that burns the oil off. Thanks for your input.
Next question, is a stock tube a good replacement or do I need the cool guy braided piece? Tia

If you decide you need one, you can have the one I have. It came off my car at 11,670 miles, about a year ago. Looks brand new. Let me know if you want it

Ray

Never happened to me but I've heard of them cracking as it is very, very stiff. Braided is nice but nothing wrong with going back to the stock setup. The important thing is getting the slope to the block correct. You want a constant downward angle. If you go braided need to watch sizing. There are some on the market that has a smaller cross sectional area. Needs to be at minimum same size as the stock piece. Anything smaller could cause oil to backup into the turbo.

Cracking isn't unheard of and the gaskets on the drain can start to leak too. Another thing to check is the connection where the feed line screws into the turbo housing. The O-ring in it can deteriorate after time and the tiny bit of leaking oil will make its way down the back side of the housing and then drip onto the exact spot you are describing.

Ask me how I know. :sorry:

Last edited:
I had the shield off, r&r the upper. No leaking up there. I don't remember a gasket. Might be there. I was afraid to fool with it too much without something to put on if I goofed it up. This is more than a tiny bit. It is coating the intercooler bracket and I wipe it clean at oil change time then it coats it again. At first I thought it a vc gasket but it is dry over there. The tube is coated so I think that is what is leaking . I had it (turbo)off when I replaced the hg. I wanted to be able to get the elbow off as I have a ported one I want to try. Thanks to all who answered. I'll look at it again and see if I can see anything.