You can type here any text you want

turbo problems

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jackie grabos

hello, just got my first gn. it is 87 and cannot hear the turbo spooling. the car starts and runs fine. it has 65,000 miles. i believe it is the origional turbo. i bought the car at an auction as is. i only paid 7300, so i feel ike i got a deal. the ac needs to be fixed and the rest seems to be fine. it has modifications but im not sure all of them. it came with 4 chips and maf box. looks to have after market exhaust and down pipe, intercooler etc. i have taken off the intake and the cold side spins freely and no chips on blades. the turbo gauge on the a pillar lights up but shows no boost and the gauge on the dash does not light up at all. i have included some pics of engine and car. maybe this will help to show what kind of set up i have. any help or suggestions much appreciated. jon

Attachments

• P4100024.jpg
    P4100024.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 219
  • P4100025.jpg
    P4100025.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 219
  • P4100026.jpg
    P4100026.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 210
  • P4100030.jpg
    P4100030.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 208
  • P4100035.jpg
    P4100035.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 209
That's not a stock turbo. Looks to be a te-44. As far as the boost gauge it may not be connected. Can you feel the turbo boosting? When you let off the throttle does it make the ch-ch-ch sound from the drivers side? Thats the boost backflowing out from the air filter. Depending on the turbo they don't all make as much of a noticable whistling as some turbo's do.

it is a garrett, i will try to get the numbers off it. i was told it worked, but the other couple of gn's i have driven the turbo was easy to hear. the tires are dry rotted and not inspected yet. i have not had a chance to get it on it. i thought they all sounded about the same. at what rpms should i be able to hear it? the car sat for 8 months being started a couple of times. i have changed the oil and power steering fluid. i am going to get new tires and inspection tomorrow. will test it out on open road. was told it beat an 06 vette with the strip chip in, so i think it move ok. i will not be taking it to the track, just a weekend cruiser. excited about my first gn and fixing it up. again any help much appreciated.

looks like an aftermarket intercooler as well. i would change that holley fuel pressure regulator when i first started i went thru 2 in one week. also clock your maf sensor too. also your wastegate hole maybe ported and your puck is not covering the hole. i take it that you have a scanmaster in there since the car has all those mods. check your chips and see if you have a turbo tweak chip. if not get one. also check your fuel pressure that is rises 1:1 with boost and verify what size injectors you have. by the way nice car for $7300

the catalytic converter could be clogged,causing no boost! my car did that with about 70k on it

Go to your user controls and add some info like location so some one near you can help. This will make it easier to figure out what's wrong with it.

the car is open pipe and floor pans are solid. there is small ammt of superficial rust on bottom of drivers door. the car spent most of its life in mid south. it is 3" down pipe and the chips are atr. i believe these are old but still better than stock. i have the street chip installed now. will be taking it for tires and inspection today. will find out if turbo works once inspected.

Back