Turbo RX7 goes down..again and again and...

Re: monte?

Originally posted by Gruvin84SS
are kids today that far off that they can't tell a monte from a buick GN? i mean come on. maybe mistaking a cutlass and a regal at midnight with no moon light and blinfolded, but montes do not resemble the GN, not even close. i luv my monte, but thats kind of insulting to the fastest car produced by GM in the late eighty's(faster than the almighty corvette). damn the heads of GM for repremanding Buick by discontinuing the GN line.

Sadly it's true. I've lost count with how many times my Buick T-Type was called an "SS"! I'ts got chrome Bumpers!!!!! how the *&%$ do they confuse a regal for a monte? yes, they have a "similar silhouette" and the small passenger window ports too but theyre different in shape and size...urgh! Just last week an 84/85 GN was parked next to a girlfriends saturn and i pointed at it as i was taking her roomate to work and she said "nice monte" I Actually stomped the brake and dropped my head and in a hoarse voice hissed "Sacrilege!" I creeped her out!..LOL! I explained my behavior and she understood why. My TR was still under construction and i miss her terribly.

Blackshoebox…You’d be surprised how many Supra owners are completely full of it too. Sure, some of their cars are fast, and the motors are remarkable power makers, but usually the owners leave A LOT to be desired. Us LS1 owners have been taking a lot of crap from Supra owners for a few years now, and the biggest thing I have learned from this is that *most* Supra owners that I have meant have a “god” complex.

I won’t BS anyone here, Supras can easily be made into incredible road warriors. But they are dyno queens more than anything. Take a 450rwhp Supra and put it on a drag strip. You’ll get 12s. Yeah, you’ll get great trap speed (hence the great power from a roll), but they are not set up for ET racing. They are not any type of drag cars. You could easily beat a Supra in the ¼ mile with a G or F body car with much less rwhp. There are 450rwhp LS1s running well into the 10s. 450rwhp Supras usually run 12s, and 11s if they REALLY know how to drive.

There are a couple of Supra owners on LS1.com that seem to know what they are talking about, but many on Supraforums are just smack talkers with god complexes. I avoid that website unless I am wearing rubber boots and carrying a shovel!!! LOL…

I'm sure blackshoebox would not be surprised. We have had plenty of smack talkers around here.

I don't know who started the RWHP crap and other so called racing dialogue words.

I like the old days where two cars would line up and go. Sometimes the best driver would win and sometimes the best car would win.

I have won many times having a car that was not the fastest and I have been beat by better drivers in slower cars. This is what it is all about.

Somebody is always faster and has more HP or ( RWHP ), whatever!!:mad:

Drag racing is about the the 1/4 mile period. This is what Buick owners live for and that is what our cars are made for. If I said it once I have said it a thousand times, racing down the road at 110 is purely idiotic.

Later..

Originally posted by RPM WS6
the biggest thing I have learned from this is that *most* Supra owners that I have meant have a “god” complex.

There are a couple of Supra owners on LS1.com that seem to know what they are talking about, but many on Supraforums are just smack talkers with god complexes. I avoid that website unless I am wearing rubber boots and carrying a shovel!!! LOL…

I couldn't agre more. I am glad that I am not the only one who has noticed that. It seems that if do not drive a Supra or cannot afford one you are trailer trash or something.

If your weapon of choice is a F-body or Mustang you are somehow inferior to them. Like we are less human or something. Maybe it's just me, some of them just rub me the wrong way.

Personally, I think alot of them don't even own a Supra... Like some of the kids there runnign their mouths. Keyboard warriors, that's all.

But, I must admit, there are a lot of good, knowledgeable, and nice guys there. They do give props to the Turbo Buicks.

Rant over. Have a nice day. :)

Originally posted by nerveux

I couldn't agre more. I am glad that I am not the only one who has noticed that. It seems that if do not drive a Supra or cannot afford one you are trailer trash or something.

If your weapon of choice is a F-body or Mustang you are somehow inferior to them. Like we are less human or something. Maybe it's just me, some of them just rub me the wrong way.

Personally, I think alot of them don't even own a Supra... Like some of the kids there runnign their mouths. Keyboard warriors, that's all.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant, and I've seen it for a while now. What I've noticed is, that to them, those of us without Supras seem to be inferior. Our cars are crap, and we are poor. LOL…

I remember once on that board someone started a “Supra vs. GN/Ttype/TTA” shootout; America’s turbo 6 vs Japan’s turbo 6. I think they were from this board. The Supra guys didn’t seem too happy about that saying “the GN was basically a factory built drag car” and “we’ll only race on a road course”. They do seem to respect the power of the turbo buick, but when it comes to LS1s, it’s a whole different story.

LS1’ers seem to be some of the lowest forms of life out there to them. Or at least this is the impression I get. I don’t know why they feel this way? But that is why I don’t like them. F-bodies were out spinning their tires and wining races decades before the Supra TT was even a glimmer in anyone’s eye. They need to show us some more respect.

Most people that go out and buy a new LS1 could go out and get a used Supra if they wanted it too, it's just a preference thing.

I coudl go out and get TT if I wanted it, but I prefer not too right now. I would rather have a TR, TTA, LS1, Cobra, or Lightning right now. I really like the Supras too, but I don't want one right now. So don't shun us because we go to your site and don't have/want/worship one.

I am not going to flame them because there are cool guys there, but we are all car guys/gals wether we can afford to or not and they need to get the chip off their shoulder.

I own a Mustang and a GN, but most of the guys here don't hold it against me because I have Mustang. At least they don't publicly bash me. ;)

Yeah I can see what your saying RPM, but a lot of people are cocky on different boards including this one and many others like corral, the corvette forum, viperclub, etc. If you read the thread I had mentioned you'd probably see how some ls1 guys came over and started calling BS on his Ferrari kill and talking trash... My question is why:confused: All this does is start pointless and boring flame wars... If you know how the people's attitudes are on certain forums then why do you even bother... I even got involved in a stupid pissing match with bob cosby and beefcake... after it was all said and done I realized all the sh*t talking solved nothing and was pointless and pretty damn boring to boot... As far as the Supra's are conserned I can see how you would say they are dyno queens and some are, but I wouldn't sterreotype them as all being dyno queens, because some run damn impressive quarter mile ET's... remember the Supra's also came with auto trannies much like the ls1's the auto's are better for 1/4 mile action and the 6spd's are deadly from a roll... A good example is one guy on the supraforums has an auto with a SP63 single turbo and a sp converter and runs 10.2 @ 133mph on drag radials and no NOS... he cuts 1.4 60ft tiimes on DRs... Thats pretty damn impressive to me and the bottom ends are bullet proof, mainly because they have FORGED INTERNALS and guys have made well over 700RWHP with no problems!!! The LS1's are also very impressive with what they can run with just bolt ons... I think they are both great cars and simply DRIVE WHAT YOU LIKE... no need for STUPID FLAME WARS... sorry for long post Shoebox:cool:

Also I've been on the Supraforums reading in the kill section before and a lot of guys like the LS1's and give them a lot of respect on the street even when they talk about racing from a roll... I'm sure the LS1 guys are the same with different people showing respect for other cars and some who show none... It's really no big thing, I like fast cars all the like... I have my dislikes as far as brands and some cars go ie... Mustangs and hondas LOL... but if you like them that's cool with me and I really wouldn't worry what other people think about the car u drive... I know I don't and need no one's approval to drive what I like... the sh*t talking that goes on the internet means nothing until u line'em up and race... I sure know I can't wait to get my car to the track to see how it runs since the motor was rebuilt... I have a good idea of how it will run, but truly don't know until I get the tunning sorted out and run this beast... Oh yeah one other thing I notice is that a lot of people in the market for a newer car with good looks, handling, braking, and strong performance out of the box are having a hard time deciding between the ls1 fbodys and the Supra... IMO they are very evenly matched and either way u can't go wrong... Lately, I've seen a lot of guys going for the ls1 because you get a new car with a warrenty for the same price of a mid mileage used supra... I don't know V8 rumble or a wistling I6... u decide???:D :D

blackshoebox...

I basically agree with everything you’ve said Shoebox. And I just want to make it clear that I do have plenty of respect for the 3.0L I6 motor in the Supra, and as you said the dyno queens are typically the manuals, whereas the autos can be set up to ET just about as well as any other car with similar power. I just meant that the Supra its self wasn’t really set up for drag racing, so when you hear of one making 550rwhp, don’t always expect it to run 10s or 9s like an F or G body could run with that much power.

The Supra motor is damn impressive, I’ve always said that and always will. So are the LS1 and the Buick turbo 3.8. The difference is, when it comes to personal preference I just don’t like how Supras look compared to an F-body or GN. But as you said, we all have our own idea of what’s good, and thank God that’s the case, otherwise the world would be a very boring place!

And you’re right, I shouldn’t put down a whole website due to the attitudes of some of the members, but it’s hard to ignore the bad ones. I always respect all fast quality cars (I might not like them all, but I respect them!), so it’s just hard for me to deal with the attitudes of those who don’t. I’m sure you know what I mean. :)

Ryan, ’00 WS6

Which one would I pick??? This would definitely be a hard choice. I love both the Supra and the newer LS1 fbods so, I would have to really think about it... From the factory I know the Supra is set up more for AutoX racing and not really drag strip action like the the fbodys as RPM WS6 mentioned, however, the Supra's engine is an amazing motor that can make a lot of power with just basic performance upgrades or BPU... I know a kid that had one with exhaust, downpipe, boost controller, KN airfilter, chip, injecters, and a FM intercooler... the car was an auto as all 96 Supra's came with autos that year and his car made 420rwhp and 415rwtq. He told me the car ran 11.7 @ 116 with a 1.6 60ft time on a nice chilly night. His car also had the wing removed, so it was kind of a sleeper as there are not many wingless Supra TT's running around that I see. The ls1's run very strong also as Shoebox stated and you also get a warrenty... If I could find a Supra with 50 to 60 thousand miles for 22 to 23 thousand $$$ I'd probably lean towards the Supra, but if not it would be the fbody with that sweet ls1 exhaust note. Now if only I had about 25$$$ thouand to spend :D :D

Well, as for those who said that stock RX7's don't handle up to what they thought, depends on the model. I have the 93 R1 and my TR is NO comparison to the 7's handling. I've tried both out on the same turn...
In the TR, I can hit about 45-50 before it's starting to lose the rear-end and tires are squalling.
In my 7, I can easily get up to 60-65, but it's so bumpy it feels like I'm going to break something. If it was smooth, I bet it would be abotu 70mph.
The motors in the 7's do require alot of attention and cooling is a MAJOR issure with them. When I get my motor out, I'm getting all the exhaust to the cat-back jet-hot coated w/ the exhaust housing also to reduce underhood temps.

As far as a TTA vs an RX7 in the twisties/stopping power... So far as I know all the TTA's came with 12" Aluminum disc brakes in the front and rear (1LE) and I personally have little doubt the stopping power would be very comparible. Also the TTA had an upgraded suspension as well... I'm pretty sure that an 89 GTA pulled a .98 on the skidpad for R&T or one of those mags (I read this somewhere on thirdgen.org). That is pretty impressive if u ask me. I have done some fairly hard driving in my GTA and I was very impressed with the way I could take corners at speed. Granted an RX7 probably WILL handle a bit better, but the power difference between the two powerplants would more than make up for that! :D

Stock for stock the 93-96 RX-7 will win in the twistes period. These cars come off the corners with world class handling. The TTA as awesome as it is, will spin tires going into a corner hard under acceleration , the RX-7 won't.

Most of the 93-96 RX-7s were capable of sub 5 sec 0-60 times. Not bad for straight line light to light either.
You won't see a Supra do that....:D

Originally posted by Yellowknifer
Also the TTA had an upgraded suspension as well... I'm pretty sure that an 89 GTA pulled a .98 on the skidpad for R&T or one of those mags (I read this somewhere on thirdgen.org). That is pretty impressive if u ask me.

You got to be kidding me right... .98g's, hahahah I wish

Ferrari 550 Maranello .94
Viper GTS .96
Corvette(C5) .92
Camaro Z28 .84

So as you can see there is no way that the Trans Am is goig to do that in its price class because that is for up to date models. Got the C&D right here in front of me from this month. I can't say that R&T would not have made a miss print back in the day, but really .98gs in a street car is totally awesome. I mean the GNX got ,92 and people thought it was Nucking Futs.
I believe that the actuall spec on the TTA was .86... still respectable, but to get it to do .98 you are looking at aroun $6000 in suspension and frame mods!

Actually.... The older model Camaro's / Firebirds (especially Firebirds) faired better at the skid pad than any 4th gen could hope to so far as I understand. There are some videos on a camaro hanging in the twisties with some other cars that probably a lot of people would expect to handle better...
http://www.evo-shop.com/

Also I have heard of RT/10 Vipers pulling over 1.00 on the skid so... But now we are just getting into magazine racing. Go check those vids :)

In the G-Force Challenge, the RX7 they had in there killed all the other cars. It ran, I want to say, a 1.02g on the pad. I know my R1 RX7 only weighs about 2700lbs with me in it, if that. The weigh difference in huge between my RX7 and TR. I know both cars have their power areas, and that's what I got each for... RX7 for the twisties and the TR for grunt and go.

Get the 3 rotor setup and you will be really running the twisties and have the grunt and go.

It is pretty funny that most people mistake the Buick V6 turbo cars for something else and then get their ass handed to them.

I would have to also say the same is true about some Buick people and their knowledge of the 93-96 RX-7s. One of the most underrated cars out there. This car , went to Germany and proceeded to kick butt on everyhting in every sports car catageory.

Doesn't take much to get these cars to 300HP. It takes a hell of a lot HP to make up for the over 1000 lb difference. Be careful and don't mistake 93-96 for 92 and older models or you might get your ass handed to you. :)

The 3-rotor conversion in the 93-95 (there were no 92 or 96 models made in the US) costs approximately $30k and only one company does them now, Pettit Racing. This is because the front sub-frame has to be modified to fit the larger motor. It also interferes with the handling of the car once the sub-frame up front is modified. Now, in the second gen (86-91) RX7's, the 3-rotor conversion could be done in your garage with some common tools and some know-how. It's almost a direct bolt in and just need the wiring harness and brain. If I sell my 93, I'm considering doing my own 3-rotor swap into a 89-91 shell.