Turbo tweak classic v5.7 chip question

dragrazor

What kind of realistic performance can I expect from a classic v5.7 turbo tweak chip on my stock 87 gn? I currently have a jet performance chip installed(came with the car when I bought it). Should I upgrade the fuel pump with the hotwire kit or is the chip designed to work with the stock fuel pump?

You should upgrade the fuel pump & install a "Hotwire" kit to feed the pump.

You will also need to increase your base fuel pressure with either a Bosch 237 fuel pressure requlator or an adjustable FPR.

I would swap the chip to a Turbo Tweek chip just to have the newest features available & to know exactly what you are dealing with.

Do you have a Scanmaster yet? If not... You should order one ASAP.

Good luck
~JM~

I have a scanmaster,I just wanted to know if i can keep my stock fuel pump and regulator for now or if i need to change it to avoid any engine damage and what kind of power/driveability improvements i should realistically see?

My goals are to have a reliable running/idling car with good performance. I am not going to build a race car. Fast farmer, do you know what hp you have with the upgrades in your sig?

No I don't. Haven't started the car since before Christmas. Waiting on parts and money. The chip and injectors were a gift from my wife. I should start the damn thing in about a week. Doing an F-body radiator conversion, deleting the oil cooler, and putting a trans cooler out in front.

What kind of realistic performance can I expect from a classic v5.7 turbo tweak chip on my stock 87 gn? I currently have a jet performance chip installed(came with the car when I bought it). Should I upgrade the fuel pump with the hotwire kit or is the chip designed to work with the stock fuel pump?

Erics chip is the best money you'll ever spend on your car...and fuel and timing are completely adjustable. A new fuel pump and a hotwire kit are no brainers.

Ok, so what fuel pump do you recommend for my car? Stock everything with plans of upgrading to a tt chip, adjustable fuel regulator, maybe a better exhaust in the future.

I really like the Hotwire kit from Racetronix. http://www.racetronix.biz/customkititems.asp?kc=RFPK-006&eq= I went ahead & ordered a matching Walbro pump from them. This way I knew that I would be receiving a pump that had been inspected.

The adj FPR's will run you about $100, where the Bosch 237 will run you about $30 & it appears stock.

Exhaust in the future is the natural progression. Usually a 3" down-pipe from either TA Performance or RJC & then a free flowing exhaust from the cat back like Pypes or RJC.

~JM~

Anybody have a link to a bosch 237 fuel pressure regulator? I have been looking and cant find one. Also, thanks to all for your help. It is greatly appreciated. Without you and this site, I would really be lost(imagine that).

Sorry no links on where to buy a Bosch 237 FPR. I found mine at a local Import Automotive parts supply store that was a Bosch dealer.

Here is their web-site http://boschautoparts.com It looks like they have a dealer locater that will help you find someone near your home.

Good luck
~JM~

Even with the old Jet chip - you need a new fuel pump and regulator. Keep an eye on the For Sale/Trade forum, or post in PARTS WANTED.

I prefer Racetronix stuff for wiring kits, but fuel pump wiring kits aren't really high tech.

The 237 is non adjustable, and really expensive, $129.00. You can get a good used adjustable unit here.
http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,23,partnum,0280160237,d,BOSCH_0280160237.html

I picked up a new 237 FPR for $30.

If your Jet Chip requires a higher base fuel pressure, you may want to check your current FPR to see what you have. Might find that someone has already replaced it.

~JM~

Ok, so what fuel pump do you recommend for my car? Stock everything with plans of upgrading to a tt chip, adjustable fuel regulator, maybe a better exhaust in the future.

Pick up the fuel pump and hotwire kit from Racetronix...and you can grab the adjustable FP regulator from either Kirbans or RJC.