turning 84 turbo motor into 87 for install

ronbuick

Picked up a 84 turbo motor and was thing of building it as a spare for my 87T,
has any one done this! and where is the best place to put the drain for the turbo, block, pan, fuel pump block off plate, I have a few spare 86-87 parts, so I'm asking for a few ideas on this, thanks.

Ron

ron didnt we talk about this not to long ago? not sure as i have been posting alot in the last few months

Yes, but you have an 84 and I have an 87, so I'm going the other way, I'm asking is anyone has but and 84-85 motor into and 86-87 car and what and t if any differences are other than the turbo drain or unforseen complications if any in doing this.

Ron

Gone over many times. If you are good with brazing/welding by all means put it to the pan. Just make sure you put the fitting where it won't be splashing right on the crank. Or you can go the easy way like I did and drill a hole in the block. If you got the motor out its a little easier beings you can flip it upside down on the stand and all the metal shavings go on the floor:) . Get yourself a buddy, a good powerful drill-NOT A BATTER OPERATED ONE, and a NPT 1/2 tap. Get a good one too.

usetaboost, so you are saying there is enough meat there to drill and tap on the 84 block??, cause the 86-87 had the boss cast in for that purpose.

Ron

well I talked to the machine shop and they said it wouldn't be a big deal beings that area isn/'t stressed much, besides I know I'm not the only one that has done it;) .