You can type here any text you want

U-Joint/Driveshaft Loop Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

t-topflyer

I tried to install a driveshaft loop in my turbo buick. I took the U-bolts off the ends that hold the driveshaft to the yoke and surround the ends of the U-joint. I found a thin metal bar that runs from one end of the U-joint to the other. It's very thin and bends easy. It has pointed ends on it that I believe slid under the snap rings on the ends of the U-joint. I pulled it out cause I thought it had something to do with the driveshaft removal. Came out a lot easier than it went back in. I'm not even sure if I got it back in correctly. I didn't go any further with it. How important is this piece? Also, how do I get the driveshaft out so I can put the loop in?

To answer part of your question, to install the DS loop, you do have to remove the driveshaft. Remove that protection bar underneath the driveshaft. To remove DS, loosen and remove the two 10mm bolts at rear end where DS meets U joints. Careful with the ends of the U joints not to lose anything. After that is out of the way, the DS will drop down and can be slid back from trans yoke. You may lose alittle trans fluid depending on the angle the car is at. Hopefully, your DS loop holes will mate up with the ones where the bar was. You may even be able to side the loop around from the rear of the DS without full removal of the DS.

I can't answer your other part of your question but hopefully someone here can.

Thanks Evans Ward, I'll give that a shot. Here's a pic of the piece I'm talking about. I'm sure they wouldn't put it there if it wasn't important, but if anyone could let me know whether it's completely necessary or not, that would be great. It's not the U-bolt, but the bar that runs across the body of the U-joint itself from one U-bolt to the other.

100_0727.jpg

They put the strap there to facilitate handling of the d/s once the vendor assembled it.
You can remove it, and as long as you don't allow the cups to fall off, you'll be good to go.

Back