uh-oh

larrym

West Coast Newfy
I recently dropped my tranny and installed new clutches, steels and band, added a hardened stator, superior super servo and a .500 boost valve.
Everything was great shifted like a trouper. The shifts got firmer as I applied throttle thought I had done a great job.........
Last night after a short drive I put my foot into it and everything worked great made a short stop fired it up and it was leaving in second gear:mad:
Pulled it down into first and the engine tried to die :eek:
What have I done!

update

Its seems when I put it in first it works like park.......
this seems bad

servo/ band clearance

jack up the vehicle, and put the trans in neutral. Spin the driveshaft in both directions, one way will turn easy and the other way will be a lot tougher. If the driveshaft does't turn at all in one of the directions then the band it too tight on the drum. You'll have to trim a little bit of the servo pin to get clearance.

Push the servo cover in as far as it will go, you should be able to get a match stick between the cover and the snap ring.

Hrmmmm good one.

In the above post, if it were true, it would have done it from the get go. But he is correct if it was to have done it right off the bat.
Something else is applying. L/R clutch and sprag could be fighting each other. You could have rolled a sprag. This could cause a second gear start as well. Driveshaft should turn harder clockwise than counterclockwise. If this is backwards you flipped a sprag. Now if not, let's mover on. What else could be applying? The band could be, but why now unless it is welded to the drum but then it would not go to third or 4th either. BTW does it? You never mentioned anything about that. You could have pitched a gov ball in which case the shift valves would be open, (Closed) depending on how you are looking at it. Ck the govenor carefully. Make sure spring is there and seated, and that the balls are there and free.
Does hot vs cold have any effect? Another thing that needs to be determined is , is it mechanical or hydraulic? Could be a crossleak somewhere. Could be the in the 2nd acc. as well. Lots of possibilities.
I'll think more about this and see what comes up. Time for dreams...
Contact me live for more assistance direct if you wish.
Bruce
We4
Performance Transmission Services
916-739-0510
9-4:30 pst

hmmmm

I have been out of town the last 2 days, I'll check the servo again (I thought I had the clearance right when I first installed it I did need to adjust it)
It worked great for about 2000 kilometers (800 miles)
I let it sit overnight and still no 1st gear. It acts like park :confused:
Reverse is fine to find out if its hydralic I jack it up and put it in first and try to roll the tires with the engine off ?

Check 2nd accumulator seal. When it leaks it holds band in manual 1st. Also if you move shifter to Neutral and then back to drive will it take off in first?

Ooops see Bruce cover 2nd accumulator

I did a quick check last night, jacked it up and wheels spin in both directions in neutral(littler harder in reverse then forward)
Put it in first and it did the same thing.
Fired it up pulled it into first and I could not move the wheels in either direction.
I'll drop the pan this weekend and poke arround, what chould I be looking for other then the 2nd accumulator seal.

I hope I'm not dropping the tranny again :(

Check the big lip seal on the servo

the big lip seal on the servo, the lip faces towards the case and the little lip seal, the lip faces the cover. It's another thing to look at.

Take the seal off the 2nd accumulator and ck the piston to pin fit. If the piston is super loose on the pin, it will be just like a leaking seal.

Were you twisting the driveshaft or driving it on jack stands?

Does this thing have a trans brake in it? (stage rite style)

No trans brake, I just spun the wheels on the jack stands and assumed the the drive shaft was turning.
I had it on the ground when I fired it up and tried 1st.
I rocked the car back and forth it wasn't rolling.

No trans brake, I just spun the wheels on the jack stands and assumed the the drive shaft was turning.
I had it on the ground when I fired it up and tried 1st.
I rocked the car back and forth it wasn't rolling.

jack up the vehicle, and put the trans in neutral. Spin the driveshaft in both directions, one way will turn easy and the other way will be a lot tougher. If the driveshaft does't turn at all in one of the directions then the band it too tight on the drum. You'll have to trim a little bit of the servo pin to get clearance.

Push the servo cover in as far as it will go, you should be able to get a match stick between the cover and the snap ring.

That accum piston won't work in the 2nd gear housing.

Could this be the problem?

hahahahahaha
Thanks for the place to look Bruce
I'm glad I'm not pullin a tranny

Attachments

• springs.JPG
    springs.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 482
Well I replaced the housing plate spring piston and I still have the same problem..........
Now where do I turn?
:confused:

If I get it rolling in second and pull into first it rolls to a stop and locks.
If I pull it from neutral into 1st it lurches ahead and then stops.

Well I replaced the housing plate spring piston and I still have the same problem..........
Now where do I turn?
:confused:

You sure its not taking off in 3rd gear? When in manual low the only way to lock wheels would be direct on. If was in 2nd you can drive threw the band holding. Tried a transbrake like this years ago. Sounds like maybe direct clutches could have fried and holding forward drum. Car would have 3rd-4th and reverse. Sure you do not have stage right in there???

You sure its not taking off in 3rd gear? When in manual low the only way to lock wheels would be direct on. If was in 2nd you can drive threw the band holding. Tried a transbrake like this years ago. Sounds like maybe direct clutches could have fried and holding forward drum. Car would have 3rd-4th and reverse. Sure you do not have stage right in there???

No transbrake that I know of, tranny worked great for a couple of weeks fluid looks good not burned. There was some crap in the pan when I dropped it. I figured it was from the spring and the damage to the accumulator plate.

Looks like its coming out :confused:

The servo seals!!

Which way are the servo seals installed? The lip of the big seal faces the case and the lip of the little seal faces the serco cover.

Don't forget to check the driveshaft.

Alright I took it for a drive it does appear to be 3-4 no 1-2 at all :mad:

Direct clutch failed and I would say they are melted together. That's why its holding all the time. When you pull shifter into manual 1st turns on low clutches so you are in 1st/rev at the same time. Don't be surprised it probably got the band to. When the 3rd clutch holds it will kill the band in short order. You might feel like a toeing of the brake for a few seconds. Thats all it takes and band is gone.

Direct clutch failed and I would say they are melted together. That's why its holding all the time. When you pull shifter into manual 1st turns on low clutches so you are in 1st/rev at the same time. Don't be surprised it probably got the band to. When the 3rd clutch holds it will kill the band in short order. You might feel like a toeing of the brake for a few seconds. Thats all it takes and band is gone.

Alright when I pull it apart what should I look for when I'm putting it back together. What would have caused this?
Would the broken accumlator spring be responsable ?

bad clutches?

so is it a case of defective parts or me or the busted accumulator spring.
I soaked everything a couple days.

Attachments

• P2280076.JPG
    P2280076.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 375
  • P2280077.JPG
    P2280077.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 379
  • P2280078.JPG
    P2280078.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 375
  • P2280079.JPG