Update-intermitt failure to upshift 2004r

Jvette73

Since I last posted on this subject Ive done some extensive test driving and have come up with a better explaination of the problem and its symptoms. Forget what I said before. I should have done this first before asking questions but heres the new info.

First of all heat is not a factor because the trans will act up weather warm or cold. Now, I can leave from a stop, and as long as I dont give it more than 1/4 throttle the trans will function normally and upshift thru all gears perfectly. I can do this all day long without any problems. Now, the symptoms of failing to upshift to 3rd will arise whenever I either, get on it good with more than 1/2 throttle, or if I punch it from a roll and cause a kickdown. After doing either of these the trans will act up and not upshift under light throttle. So, half throttle thru first and into 2nd then let off. One would expect it to then eventually go into 3rd. But it wont. I also discovered how to make the symptoms and problem go away, and I did this a dozen times with the same results. When the trans acts up and wont shift, I pull over and come to a complete stop, put the trans into reverse for a second, pull it back into D and go. Upshifts fine and problem is gone, so long as im easy on the throttle. Something about putting into reverse must be raising the pressure and causing a sticking valve to be pushed back to its normal position. When it acts up and I come to a complete stop and "dont" first put it into reverse then back into D before pulling away again, it will shift very very hard into 2nd but then fail to shift into 3rd. So, when it acts up, its obvious that the pressure is really high, even at light throttle, hence the very hard shift from 1st to 2nd. And this is with light throttle so the pressure shouldnt be that high at that throttle position. One transmission guy has already suggested that the throttle valve might be hanging up in the valve body, and by selecting reverse the pressures are raised enough to push it back where it should be. He said that its possible that each time I push the pedal down far enough the valve gets to the point where its hanging up, and that when I stay on light throttle it doesnt bind and functions normally. Makes sense to me. Whatta you think? Im gonna drop the pan and valve body, and remove the throttle valve components, clean and polish them and make sure the bore is clean. Ill give this a try anyway. Ill try anything to avoid pulling this tranny. Ill also check really good for metal filings and whatnot since its possible that something else is failing and debris got in there to hang up the valve. Could be a piece of dirt from cooler line or convertor or anywhere else. Could have got in there thru a dirty funnel when filling. So to the tranny experts, whatta do you think? Does this senerio of symptoms match a sticking throttle valve? Im goin in there to check and clean up and ill post back and let you know if it does or does not solve the problem.

I recently install Bruce's shift kit and I'm experiencing the same problem. The notable exception is that mine no longer goes away after putting it in reverse. I noticed during the installation of the shift kit that the upshift and downshift valves were reversed in my factory service manual verses the installation instructions. I removed the spring per the instructions under the assumption that it's a lot more likely that someone would have caught the error there. Any chance that that's a contributing factor?

My problem has been solved, tranny works great now. Heres what i found. When I installed the shift kit from PTS it included a washer to be added between the TV plunger and plunger spring. What I didnt notice is that BTO had already made this mod when they built the trans. Thier washer was barely small enough in diameter to fit in the bore so it looked like a factory part. Bucause of its size, maybe it was causing some binding, or the fact that there was two in there, thiers and Bruces was not letting the valve come back all the way. Its funny cause it worked for a long time with both in there but just started acting up recently. Now anyway, I tossed the BTO washer and have only the PTS one in there. Workin like a charm. The pan was clean with no evidence of unusual wear or signs of anything being torn up. I wanna thank the people for the time they spent giving suggestions to help me solve this. I was bad with my describtion of the problem at first but finally got it down. I asked a guy named Kevin at Bob's transmission in Glen Burnie. When I described the symptoms to him, TV valve was the first thing that came out of his mouth. Had I been more carefull when installing the shift kit this problem never woulda arisin. :D :D :D :D

It looks like my problem was an incorrectly installed TV exhaust lever. I guess I didn't get the top end in the hole properly.

Sorry guys...

But this is how we learn. Ain't it a bitch? LOL
Glad you all are resolved tho..:D
Bruce