Update, Sarahs' feeling much better now.

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF SECRETS
Staff member
Welp, since you last tuned in to the mis-adventures of Sarah and Patrick, a couple of things have changed.

Were to start? I recently installed a PT6776S journal bearing turbo and sold my TE-60R. I initially had some boost control issues, which were finally ironed out by replacing the turbine housing and properly porting the wg hole. I have yet to install the 9" Art Carr converter because the spool up with my current converter and the RJC valve is ok for street driving. Can you say controlled wheel spin? Anywho, I was forced to run the same 3" MAF pipe and K&N cone and could tell that this combo was just struggling to feed the monster turbo with air, as well as being way WAY out of fuel with the TT chip that was originally burned for just enough fuel for a 61 turbo. Welp, after a few street tests on 19psi, I knew I was way out of fuel. I contacted Eric of Turbo Tweak and ordered a custom chip upgrade with more fuel. I also contacted Mark H of Buickgn fame and ordered one of his 4" plain aluminum MAF pipes and a plain aluminum Big Mouth cold air kit. Friday night I get busy painting and installing the MAF pipe and cold air kit. Later Saturday afternoon, I checked the mail and low and behold, my chips come in from Eric. Oh boy, it's time to play again.

I install the upgrade chip, make some slight adjustments too 1st gear fuel and turn the timing to 21.3 in 1st and 2nd, and 20.5 in 3rd and 4th. I take her out for an initial spin. Spool up is a little quicker and inlet air temps are way lower than before. 1st hit and she's pulling really strong at 20psi. Zero KR where as before I was seeing 1.7 - 2.0, but I noticed the O2s were way off. Seeing as I haven't changed the O2 since Bowling Green and I knew it was toast from running approximately 25 gallons of C16 and about 6 fill ups on pump 93, it was due for a changing. So while I'm out prowling the streets, I get a phone call from my boy Dave Fiscus with an update on his track visit at Edgewater. Long story short, his car is ready to rock and roll for Columbus with no issues. While listening, I notice a pretty Bright Yellow '06-'07 C6 with the chrome wheels just up ahead of me. I tell Dave, I gotta go, I'm gonna mess with this C6 I just ran into.

I pull along side the C6 and pause just for a second. Pull the shifter down into D and I'm ready. We were both rolling along at 40 mph. He must have heard the RPMs change cause we both nailed it at the same time. Sarah immediately puts about 3 lengths on him with ease and I lift at about 85 or so. Not too shabby there Sarah. Zero KR again and all was well. I pull up to the light in the right lane, they pull up a few seconds later. The passenger says, nice Buick you got there. I said, yeah, I like the Vette too. He says, hey we're not supposed to be racing right here in front of the Police station. I said, yeah, I'm done. At this red light, about an 1/8th a mile away is the local Sheriffs station and county jail. I had no intentions of running again and didn't even think about it when the light changed. But not the Vette driver. He gunned it through the intersection. I had a feeling there would be a cop once we topped this hill just through the intersection so I merely drove like a sane person. Sure enough, the Vette guy accels up to about 50 and then lets off suddenly. It's a 45 zone. Much to my surprise, coming straight at us with instant on Radar was a local Sheriff. I just smiled as he went by.

Fast forward to today, I go out and swap out the O2 sensor and head out to not only make a pull or two, but to grab some lunch. I let her warm up completely and head over to I-65. I merge and have a nice clear lane for about 1 mile in front of me with no other traffic around. Pull the shifter into D and take one more look around. Hammer down, boost is at a rock steady 20psi, O2's start out in the mid .800s, I short shift OD at around 90 and stay in it till I see 104 and lift. I was watching the O2s and KR like a hawk. Recall button showed .812 O2 and Zero KR, and DAYUM she was pulling. .812 was at 96 mph. So, she's much happier now.

I just wanted to say a Big Thank You to Eric at Turbo Tweak for burning me an absolutely perfect 60# race chip, and to Mark H at Buickgn for sending out the MAF pipe and cold air kit so quickly. Those two parts went on without any trouble and fit like a glove. I didn't think it possible, but I didn't even have to install a IAC angle plate or have any clearance issues with the inlet pipe clearance to the MAF pipe while running the stock T-body and upper plenum.
Here are a few pics.

DSC00881.jpg

DSC00885.jpg

DSC00895.jpg

DSC00890.jpg

Now, I need to do something about the brakes as they still will not hold more than 5psi and that ain't gonna cut it. Anywho, later this week, Sarah's getting two new sets of shoes. Let's just say we're gonna stop playing around and finally get some skinnies and 10s. She doesn't know it yet, but I'm sure she will approve. She's also going to be getting a new KB fiberglass drivers side Ram Air air dam to compliment the new Big Mouth kit, as well as a pair of custom engraved valve covers that I kept and just finished painting from my old grey car days. Yeah, I know, I spoil her too much. But she's worth it.
I'll post up a new post with pics of the wheels and valve covers once they are done. After all of this, there is one more big surprise.....

I bet most of you didn't know that she has a younger long lost sister. And she's a Buick too. :D
More to come later and thanks for reading....

Patrick

Sounds like she is running very good:cool: See you in Columbus.

BTW, What are you going to do about the brakes? I was never able to hold over 5-8 psi with my vacuum brakes. I think I tried everything too:confused: Eventually I gave up and went with a transbrake.

Dave wants me to replace my prop valve with the new brass one I have. I want to do that and replace the entire booster and master cylinder and the one stainless braided rear brake line that I have as well. If that doesn't help, which deep down I seriously doubt it will, then I will probably just convert her back to a Power disaster and be done with it as my buddy Ken says.
It's a never ending struggle but we'll see. If I do all of that to the vacuum setup and install the AC 9" and she still won't 60ft, then I'll convert her back.
Thanks for the replys.

Patrick

I wish you all the best in regards to that.
I lost my powerdisaster I day driving down the H-1, at 50 mph almost rear ending someone. Switched to vacuum. Now I'm going to try the HB setup for better braking. See if the hype is worth it.
Have anymore shots of Sarah?

vaccuum check valve

reportedly the Cobalt SS vacuum check valve works pretty well. It might be worth trying.

B

AC converter? Should have gotton a PTC! Either way, that's gonna help the her spool.
FWIW I can hold 10#'s on the foot brake with S-10 cylinders and a powermaster.

Hey Mark. Sure thing sir, you can snag them from my Photobucket acct no problem.

Thanks TurboBob, I'll have to look into that check valve.

Would anyone happen to know the part number for this valve?

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Patrick

Cobalt SS checkvalve

A friend tried one and it improved his brakes. I don't know the condition of his original.

the part number is 18022219 or Delco 179-1266

Didn't the TTA's have an additional checkvalve in-line?

Bob

Thanks Bob.
I will look into that check valve and try it out.
Preciate it.

Patrick

Patrick,
With your IC painted blue, it looks "cold" sitting still. :D :D

Any problems lining up the 67 with the IC? Thought I read somewhere about a little issue.

With the turbo that is on her now, PT6776S, the turbo is slightly off set towards the middle of the IC. I can only imagine the issues I'm gonna have if I try to install a H cover equipped turbo as the comp cover is bigger and will move the discharge slightly more towards the drivers side.
Sigh.... :(

It never ends.

do you have exact dimensions of the H and S compressor cover differences? Perhaps a tech bulletin from PTE on the install.......?

I have the H, it is going to require trimming of the IC to get it to fit properly. For now its just installed at an angle.

Bob