You can type here any text you want

upgrade the alternator

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buickbert

im finally starting to screw my gn back together. i upgraded the fuel pump to one from full throttle speed. it also came with the hot wire kit for it. also im going to put the dual fans and caspers wiring harness for them. my ? is should i upgrade the alternator? im affraid that the addition of these two harnesses that i prusume are going to be drawing more current from the alt will wear it out. whaddaya guys think? anyone upgrade there alt? where/ which one is the "best"

buickbert

im finally starting to screw my gn back together. i upgraded the fuel pump to one from full throttle speed. it also came with the hot wire kit for it. also im going to put the dual fans and caspers wiring harness for them. my ? is should i upgrade the alternator? im affraid that the addition of these two harnesses that i prusume are going to be drawing more current from the alt will wear it out. whaddaya guys think? anyone upgrade there alt? where/ which one is the "best"

buickbert

Not saying it will not happen but I never hear of anyone having that issue. Yes upgrade the alt. I like Kirban's, just did it myself.

No. I run the stocker and have a lot more electrical draw than just that.

Jason

Hi,
Since our cars use one of GM's largest output alternators,at 120 amps, I think it can handle an extra fan, which will pull 30 amps max. on startup, more like 15 amps constant. Bigger alternators are great, but you gotta pay for it. Good luck!

Grumpy, so I'm guessing that the 200 amp alternator would be overkill?:confused:

as far as I am concerned yes... I have had maybe 2 alt fail in all the cars I have had here since 1986... one was a rebuilt one I had off a parts car :eek: . :cool:

as far as I am concerned yes... I have had maybe 2 alt fail in all the cars I have had here since 1986.... :cool:

I agree, only seen very few ORIGINAL alts fail in over 20 years, but many of the upgrades fail.:D

In my limited knowledge, it seems the battery is supplying the "juice", and the alt keeps that charged.:confused:

I do however, KNOW the larger output units, especially the 200 amp ones, have much reduced output at lower RPM's.:smile:

If you are concerned with your electrical system load, use the largest CCA battery you can afford [and that will fit].

Back