upgraded to 86/87 ecm but have a question

ctflash1

Still putting all my new upgraded goodies into my 85 GN!! Holy shit money doesnt last long with one of these cars!!!LOL! But anyway I have one question I installed my new 86/87 ecm and new tt chip but I left the 86/87 calpac chip in it. Should I have put the calpac from the 85 ecm into the new ecm? The car runs fine without doing this but I have only started it twice since I put some of the new parts in and never drove it on the road yet(too much freakin snow!!) Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks Steve

I bought a used 86/87 ECM from someone who said they tested it and it worked fine in their car... My car never ran right and was running super rich, BLMs maxed out once warmed up.

It would drive but it ran so rich.

I chased what I thought to be vacuum leaks for a month straight, until I took my stock calpak chip out of my 85 ECM and the seller gave me a spare stock (bigger of the two chips) . I installed those two chips and it runs perfectly now. I was told the used ECM I bought had an old hyper tech chip, but I don't know which chip caused the issues.

So if it doesn't run right maye swap out the small chip for your factory chip, also get a new TT chip burned for your setup. I still need to get a TT chip.

Thanks guys I'll try it with the 86/87 one when I could take it for a good long ride(probably not till spring) but thats ok I still need to put my new walbro pump and hotwire kit in anyway. And Wahoo I did get a tt chip burned for my setup that was the first thing I did after installing my new 42# injectors. Even without new fuel pump and hotwire kit my BLMs r perfect at 128ish but thanks for the info.

did you get the ecm from another GN, or was it from a fwd Olds or something else that used that same ecm?
if it's a junkyard ecm, then put the 85 calpac in it.. if it's from a GN, keep the 86/87 one in it.

The calpaks from 84 to 87 are all the same, doesn't matter which one you use. The calpak chip is only used in backup mode if the normal chip dies or some other major ECM problem occurs. It has no effect on the way the car runs otherwise. It will run fine without the calpak plugged in at all, but you would have a check engine light for code 52 (missing calpak).
Eric

The calpaks from 84 to 87 are all the same, doesn't matter which one you use. The calpak chip is only used in backup mode if the normal chip dies or some other major ECM problem occurs. It has no effect on the way the car runs otherwise. It will run fine without the calpak plugged in at all, but you would have a check engine light for code 52 (missing calpak).
Eric

Are you talking for turbo buicks? Or for GMs entire line up 84-87?

Does the cal Pak not have anything to do with fueling? I believe the problem I had was from the wrong cal Pak or it could be the old hyper tech chip that the ECM I bought came with.

Thx

I'm only talking about the turbo Buicks.

The calpak does not do anything during normal operation.

Thanks Eric for the info and thanks for the new chip I just ordered from u! I'll let u guys know how everything works when the weather permits me to drive my car again!!!!! I'm like a child waiting for Christmas to get here, it can't come soon enough

I brought a GM 86/87 ECM for my 85 GN.Could I still use the factory chip in this ECM while using #40 Injectors or purchase a chip from you?

You should get a new chip burnt for your setup, the old factory chips have too much timing and gas is different now a days.