You can type here any text you want

Using oil

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

vacuum 6

I have about 500 miles on the new engine and it’s still using oil (showing up on the dip stick). The first 500 it used less then 1/2 of a quart. I don’t see any smoke during normal driving, when I'm on it or at startup. I drove it yesterday (after my 500 miles oil change) and again the oil is coming down on the dip stick. Anything to worry about? :confused:

I have about 500 miles on the new engine and it’s still using oil (showing up on the dip stick). The first 500 it used less then 1/2 of a quart. I don’t see any smoke during normal driving, when I'm on it or at startup. I drove it yesterday (after my 500 miles oil change) and again the oil is coming down on the dip stick. Anything to worry about? :confused:

What kind if oil are we talking about here ?? What do the plugs look like ??

Valvoline 10W-30, I'll have to check my plugs. What are you thinking?

Valvoline 10W-30, I'll have to check my plugs. What are you thinking?[/QUOTE

We I was thinking rings possibly, the plugs should tell you at least if the usage of the oil is fairly consistent across the cylinders , ie unseated rings.

Are you using any additives in the oil?? Which rings did you use in the engine?? You might want to try a quart of Marvel Mystery oil, this stuff really helps seal the rings.

We I was thinking rings possibly, the plugs should tell you at least if the usage of the oil is fairly consistent across the cylinders , ie unseated rings.

Are you using any additives in the oil?? Which rings did you use in the engine?? You might want to try a quart of Marvel Mystery oil, this stuff really helps seal the rings.

Yes I was thinking the same thing but I cant believe the rings have not seated yet. The only additives I've used is STP oil treatment. I dont know what rings were used. What color will the plugs be if its burning oil cuz of the rings?

Yes I was thinking the same thing but I cant believe the rings have not seated yet. The only additives I've used is STP oil treatment. I dont know what rings were used. What color will the plugs be if its burning oil cuz of the rings?

Ok here are some great pics of plug readings. Some of the better pictures on the the net and there are a few pics that are included here that most sites don't have: Verrill: Plug Color Chart

Also check you PCV and make sure your not sucking oil:cool:

Plugs look good. I'll pics some pics tomorrow.

How do I know if the PCV is sucking oil?

What kind of intake manifold gasket are you using? Where is your pcv valve located?

Plugs look good. I'll pics some pics tomorrow.

How do I know if the PCV is sucking oil?

Take your up pipe off and open the throttle blade and look OR remove vacuumn block and look into the pcv passage to check for oil. I use a catch can on my car:rolleyes:

I'll check the vacuum block etc.

I have a stock Champion ported intake (PCV is stock location, EGR removed) and I used Felpro valley gasket.

Here are the pics. It looks like the car is running lean with a bit of oil on the outside ring. What do you think?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 519
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 508
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 507
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 516
With plugs looking like those at 500 mi, I'd be doing a compression and leakdown test, along w/ pulling the plenum, and taking a look at the intake runners.

It looks as..

Why? What are you thinking?

tho there's far too much "crud" baked onto the base of the threaded area. It looks like oil to me.
At 500 mi, and the "stuff" is so heavy that it's flaking off, is a good sign of serious chamber contamination.
The white "stuff" is likely gas additive residue, from the wonderful fuel we have to burn.:rolleyes:
Once the plenum is off, you'll be able to see the seal, or lack of, at the intake gasket.
STP?? :eek:

tho there's far too much "crud" baked onto the base of the threaded area. It looks like oil to me.
At 500 mi, and the "stuff" is so heavy that it's flaking off, is a good sign of serious chamber contamination.
The white "stuff" is likely gas additive residue, from the wonderful fuel we have to burn.:rolleyes:
Once the plenum is off, you'll be able to see the seal, or lack of, at the intake gasket.
STP?? :eek:

Chamber contamination meaning too much oil? Are you saying I might have a lower intake gasket leak? Once I pull the upper intake what should I be looking for...lack of a gasket or what???? Sorry just trying to understand this is my first rebuild.

Yes, I used one bottle of STP to help thicken stuff up. I have 50 miles on the motor with STP in it...should I drain and add new oil?

Definitely looks like oil contanimation to me. Hopefully more people will chime in. If your PCV is ok then it could be very well what Chuck has said in regards to the intake gasket and such

Oil contanimation but what if the rings are still trying to seat? What should "normal" 500 mile new motor plugs look like?

My $.02..

Chamber contamination meaning too much oil? Are you saying I might have a lower intake gasket leak? Once I pull the upper intake what should I be looking for...lack of a gasket or what???? Sorry just trying to understand this is my first rebuild.

Yes, I used one bottle of STP to help thicken stuff up. I have 50 miles on the motor with STP in it...should I drain and add new oil?

The contamination looks like oil residue. As in oil, after being "cooked".
Could be the intake is not seated on the heads. Once you pull the plenum, you will be able to look at the gasket joints at the heads. If it's the gasket, there'll be oil residue in the ports, and likely oil stain streaks on the intake runner walls, and cyl head port walls. And, if it's bad enuf, oil will be puddled on the backs of the intake valves.
Another source of oil is the turbo. Too much oil to it, and it'll leak past the seals.
STP.. I'd not use that as an additive for breakin.[ just my opinion]. I use 10w-40 DELO, and a can of EOS, in all my engines. [Breakin and after, as long as the engine is in service.] I reduce the EOS to 1/2 can, after breakin.
As for broken in?? Most rings seat in the first few minutes/miles. 500, and not seated?, they're not going to.:(
We run our engines on the dyno, at a low load, for 20-30 minutes, check everything, and drop the hammer. It's as good as it's gonna get.:D

The contamination looks like oil residue. As in oil, after being "cooked".
Could be the intake is not seated on the heads. Once you pull the plenum, you will be able to look at the gasket joints at the heads. If it's the gasket, there'll be oil residue in the ports, and likely oil stain streaks on the intake runner walls, and cyl head port walls. And, if it's bad enuf, oil will be puddled on the backs of the intake valves.
Another source of oil is the turbo. Too much oil to it, and it'll leak past the seals.
STP.. I'd not use that as an additive for breakin.[ just my opinion]. I use 10w-40 DELO, and a can of EOS, in all my engines. [Breakin and after, as long as the engine is in service.] I reduce the EOS to 1/2 can, after breakin.
As for broken in?? Most rings seat in the first few minutes/miles. 500, and not seated?, they're not going to.:(
We run our engines on the dyno, at a low load, for 20-30 minutes, check everything, and drop the hammer. It's as good as it's gonna get.:D

^^^^
What he said

I remember when I built my first small block chevy with my Dad while I was still in high school. We ran it for an hour or so. Then he said take if for a drive, I pull out on the highway and he made me hammer it WOT for about a mile. He said if it was going to blow up it will do it then..LOL engine was still running 15 years later with many..many..many miles and races on it :biggrin:

Thanks guy for the 411. Hoping to take a look into the intake tonight.

Another question if the rings did not seat what reason(s) could cause this?

Could be..

Thanks guy for the 411. Hoping to take a look into the intake tonight.

Another question if the rings did not seat what reason(s) could cause this?

** The final hone finish.
** The ring material.
** The oil ring tension is wrong for your application.
** The piston to bore clearances are too high.
** The end gaps on the rings are too wide.
** The rings are in upside down.
** The oil ring expander is overlapped.
** The engine overheated during break-in, and the rings collapsed.

Back