You can type here any text you want

Using oil

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I pulled my autolite 24's today after about 5 tanks of gas(my odometer) on my new engine & combination. Plugs look clean and the insulator looks kinda more red than brown or tan, should I be concerned? Car seems to run fine, engine has used about 1/2 quart since break-in(5-6 tanks ago) But I think some oil loss can be attributed to leaky driver side valve cover and breather grommet.

Got the upper intake off. Yes there is oil in there also a pool of it on the power plate. Seemed to me a bit more than normal. No "oil streaks" down the runner or inside the head ports. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Got to love gmail...here are the pics. What do you guys think?

Did you check the PCV, more importantly the vaccumn block port that connects to the PCV?? Mine sucked oil like hell until I used a catch can. Some engines do and some don't. No one has been able to understand completely why it happens... check it
;)

Did you check the PCV, more importantly the vaccumn block port that connects to the PCV?? Mine sucked oil like hell until I used a catch can. Some engines do and some don't. No one has been able to understand completely why it happens... check it
;)

The PCV seems like its working but I did have the gasket for the vacuum block on upside down which covered 50+% of that hole.

Got pics of the catch can and how did you set it up?

Come to think of it isn’t a catch acting like a band aid. There must be a reason for all the oil in the intake. :confused:

How do I know for sure the intake gasket did not seal correctly, oil in the runners and head ports = intake gasket did not seal, right Chuck?

Alright doing a leak down and if that checks out then onto the intake gasket.

vacuum 6 said:
Come to think of it isn’t a catch acting like a band aid. There must be a reason for all the oil in the intake. :confused:

Its only a bandaid if there is a better way to fix it. I must say that the PCV problem on these cars has been beat to death with no CLEAR reason at to the what and why its going on. Oil in a turbo engine is bad..period ; I chose to spend 70 dollars for a good catch can setup, engine is happy now... what can I say.

Either you have oil in PCV port on the vacuumn block or not, its easy to see. If not move one to other possibilities :cool:

You definately have a PCV issue. That gasket says it all. Why would you want to install it upside down? I use a catch can.

That's a pretty intake!

Its only a bandaid if there is a better way to fix it. I must say that the PCV problem on these cars has been beat to death with no CLEAR reason at to the what and why its going on. Oil in a turbo engine is bad..period ; I chose to spend 70 dollars for a good catch can setup, engine is happy now... what can I say.

Either you have oil in PCV port on the vacuumn block or not, its easy to see. If not move one to other possibilities :cool:

Ok cool. Well I do have a liitle oil in the vacuum block ports and when the gasket was installed wrong there quit a bit on the gasket. What catch can you got...pics please?

You definately have a PCV issue. That gasket says it all. Why would you want to install it upside down? I use a catch can.

That's a pretty intake!

Dont know why I installed the gasket upside down...not paying attention when installed. What can do you use? Got pics too? Thanks guys.:)

I don't have pics,but if you search catch can on this site, it will come up. Not one of the $20 ebay ones. I have found they are too big. Mine is a from a AMW machine shop. It's over $100 now. They are smaller and easier to hide to keep that OEM look and they work.

Now I have never had an oil usage issue like yours,even without the can. You may have a couple of issues.

PCV valving is engine specific. Use of aftermkt valves can/will cause what U R describing.
Check the pvc to see if it "locks shut", when you apply "boost" to the plenum hose end. Locks?, ok. No?, then boost will pressurize the crankcase.
The catch can deal will "intercept" the oil mist being pulled thu the PVC.. Good or bad.
I wonder why GM didn't put a baffle over the PVC..:rolleyes:
Oil, trapped/held on the top of the factory gasket, will be picked up by the vac source at the base of the pvc.
They put baffles in valve cover pcv applications..:confused:

pcv/ oil

Jack Cotton and Kirban sell a pcv check valve which is designed to eliminate this problem. ;)

The check valve only solves boost entering the crankcase at WOT. It will still suck oil under vaccum conditions.

Jack Cotton and Kirban sell a pcv check valve which is designed to eliminate this problem. ;)

Just ordered it from Jack.

This motor I was using an ATR pcv...the ATR pcv is about twice as long as stock. Maybe it was sucking like a straw.:confused: Doing a psi test this weekend.

Just ordered it from Jack.

This motor I was using an ATR pcv...the ATR pcv is about twice as long as stock. Maybe it was sucking like a straw.:confused: Doing a psi test this weekend.

Use stock PCV with the check valve. If that doesn't work, catch can time :rolleyes:

I did a compression test (warmed car up to operating temps) and the numbers ranged between 167 and 175.

The PCV with check valve was sucking oil too. So I'm going to vent it into the atmosphere and see.

I did a compression test (warmed car up to operating temps) and the numbers ranged between 167 and 175.

The PCV with check valve was sucking oil too. So I'm going to vent it into the atmosphere and see.

This is what I used to vent the PCV...9833K22

McMaster-Carr

Catch Can

Vacuum 6 - If you drive this car alot then you'll need a PCV system on it. Trust me you'll need one. I had the same problem with oil being sucked in, my solution was installing a catch can system ( Ebay )with some really cool check valves I got from US Plastics, much better than the stock ones. The car I'm talking about is my daily driver( E85 Car ) and it would be foolish for me to drive it without some sort of PCV system, so the catch can worked out great.

I was trying everything just like you were, but no one on this site or others ever had a good answer to why some of our cars do this. I just bit the bullet and got the catch can and never looked back ;)

I have to empty it every few thousands miles, not bad for as much as I drive it.
BTW: Since I've been running the E-85 mix it doesn't suck as much oil into the can ..LOL go figure with these damn cars :D

Let me know if you need any info from me

Gary

Why does it matter at have a PCV? What catch can are you using?

My ride is driven about 1500 miles per year...weekend driver.

Back