V8 in T - Type

maliblu

My friend wants to put a V8 in his 84 T - Type just to get it on the road while he is saving to rebuid his V6. He will be using a junkyard motor. What motor will work that will bolt right up to the tranny? Does it have to be a B.O.P motor to fit the 200R4 that is in his car? What is the easiest V8 to drop in? Since the V6 is fuel injected does he have to drop the tank and pull out the electric fuel pump or switch the sending unit to run a mechanical fuel pump? What is the easiest way to hook up the H.E.I distributer since the V6 uses coil packs? Thanks for your info any other problems he will run into please let me know.

I think the easiest way would be to grab a TPI 305 or 350 out of a 3rd Gen Camaro along with some Monte motor mounts and bolt it in. That way you keep your stock fuel system for the high pressure EFI and get an ungoddly common motor. The TH200-4R has a universal bellhousing so that will bolt right in. The wiring harness might create some fun getting it all attached but if you have the T6 out it shouldn't be too hard. If you want to switch to carb, get just about any SBC, pull the fuel pump and sender assembly and drop in one out of a carbed Regal, Monte or whatever G-body you can get in and run the mechanical pump on the engine. To convert over to an HEI, grab a wiring diagram for a G-body but I'm pretty sure all you need is switch 12V for the power lead to the distributor, but make sure its hot in both run AND START so the car will start but don't quote me on that. Otherwise most of your ECM stuff just tie it out of the way or pull it completely, which if I was going to do this I would yank the old ECM and put in the TPI computer and harness so you still have a fun ride while the real motor is getting its vitamins.
If I really wanted to do this though, I'd go for an LT-1 instead of just any SBC and get 280hp to play with and better gas mileage to boot. If you want to know how to do that go to www.carcraft.com and search for malibu lt-1.

Just my crazied dreaming again,

i think your friend should just take the money it would cost to make that abomination of a vehicle and apply that toward getting his v6 finished that much quicker and back in the regal.

my .02

UHH WTF call gbodyparts and get a cheepo used hotair motor bolt it in and be done.

the 307 Olds will bolt directly to the 200r4, however your concerns about fuel pump, ignition wiring, etc are well founded. Not to mention the fact that whatever he does he will have to undo when the v6 is ready. bweavy or maybe even McCoy should have a usable hot air motor.

Thanks for the info and tips I told him to just put the money towards the V6 but not my call. What are the places to call to find a used hot air motor?

I have many hot air engines , and my prices aren't much more then a junkyard V8(I'm considered very cheap). If interested e mail me at Fortune628@aol.com , I'm pretty inexpensive , and I'll work with you on the price if there is anything on the old engine I can use. I have the V8 motor mounts , manifolds etc for G-body. if you want those but I think it would be just a wasting time and money. For your friend.