You can type here any text you want

Vac problem with charcoal canister

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

6SENSE

Relocated canister under car looong time ago. Noticed recently what sounded like a vac leak from under car so I got under there (while running). Its coming from the bottom of the canister, which is evident when I cover the bottom of it with my hand and the sound goes away. The filter element is missing and I wouldnt be surprised if half the charcoal crap has fallen out aswell, since a couple pieces fell out while I was under there. Noticed that there is no check valve on the vac line to it either, just a straight hose. I am suspecting that all of this could be the cause of high BLM issues. I guess the solenoid is probably bad from not having a check valve? Is this why vac is going straight through, or is it because charcoal and filter are missing? Are there any other cars (i.e. 3800 vehicles) that have the same canister/solenoid setup that I could just snatch from the junkyard? OR does anyone know some part numbers? TIA

Maybe I can crush up some charcoal out of the BBQ grill and stuff it into the canister through the grate on the bottom, and just buy the solenoid and CV :rolleyes: :D

I cut the vac hose to the canister from the intake where I thought a CV would go and placed a small wooden dowel I had laying around in between the hoses to see if there was any change to my block learn #s. Before BLMs were as high as 148 @ idle. Now in drive (@ idle) they are 115 and in park mid 120s. Is 115 too low? Can I keep the vac line blocked off and leave the canister as is? Or am I asking for problems and need to just get it working like it should?
Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

Go to the boneyard..its not special or anything. Mid 80's GM vehicles..

The valve with nothing plugged in should hold vacuum... if not, its bad. Typically if its bad, the check valve is also bad. What happens is when the car hits a certain speed, the ecm opens the selenoid letting the fumes in to get burned.

115 is a bit rich..drop fuel pressure a couple pounds..

Call me if ya need help..

Julio

Thank you to my Florida connection :)

Huge difference from 148~ to 115~ BLMs :eek: . Seems thats where the problem lies.
I will attempt to get it working like it should and hopefully be back on track (no pun intended; track, he he).
Hope there has been no mechanical damage from this apparently large vac leak. Has to have been that way for sometime.

Funny.. every car i've seen with a few exceptions with a BLM at idle issue has torched a head gasket.

If the car is not running rite at idle..dont blow 20+ PSI boost through it thinking things will get better.

Justin, glad your paying attention to the little stuff like this.. be amazed how many people dont then complain their cars run like crud.

Or ask..why did it blow the HG.. and blame everybody.. when all it was a simple vacuum leak :)

Cheers my bro.. Merry Christmas to you and your brothers..

Julio

Yes I said Christmas :D

Funny.. every car i've seen with a few exceptions with a BLM at idle issue has torched a head gasket.

If the car is not running rite at idle..dont blow 20+ PSI boost through it thinking things will get better.

Justin, glad your paying attention to the little stuff like this.. be amazed how many people dont then complain their cars run like crud.

Or ask..why did it blow the HG.. and blame everybody.. when all it was a simple vacuum leak :)

Cheers my bro.. Merry Christmas to you and your brothers..

Julio

Yes I said Christmas :D

Very timely!
I was conducting some research on this very subject and here we are, X-mas 2006! Merry Christmas everyone! (maybe in 2009 someone will post again :D )

Back