vacum conv.

japSW20

Hey guys,I finally got time to do the conversion but still have no brakes :confused: ,The vacum supply for the brake booster is T'ed off of my pcv valve,everything is connected right but for the car to stop i have to jam the pedal to the floor,Also i hear a leaking sound under my dash? do you think my booster is poped?

also i read it could be the cruise control switch,Can i completely remove the cruise control since that switch is broken?I reall dont need cruise and its pretty bulky under the hood :biggrin:

check the underhood thing that holds the rubber hose?
I used a billet piece with the extra port well worth it

sorry im of no help wanted to mention the billet thingy is well worth it

Alan

Its called a vacuum block -on top of the throttle body. i think caspers or postons sell them. im using one as well- plenty of brakes.

49-blues said:
Its called a vacuum block -on top of the throttle body. i think caspers or postons sell them. im using one as well- plenty of brakes.
My stock block had an empty port so I switched it over and still nothing??? could it be a defective booster since i hear a leak under the dash and it goes away when i press the brake in

or you can

[B]Look under the dash- you may have a disconnected hose under there or broken line.[/B]
I second that

BOOSTEDGNs said:
or you can

[B]Look under the dash- you may have a disconnected hose under there or broken line.[/B]
I second that

looked under and trace the sound to the rod that goes from the pedal to the booster,im going to replace the booster see if works :confused:

Before you installed the booster you should have checked it :) Sounds like that's the culprit. You also mention that you have to jam the pedal to the floor, did you get any air in the lines? If so you will have to bleed the system.

Before you do anything i would check the plastic valve on the front of the booster that the vacuum line goes to-pop it out and see if air goes through it from both sides , if it does its no good-this is supposed to be a check valve (one way- air goes through ,the other way -no air passage ) to hold the vacuum in the booster-they re about $3.00-cheap fix if thats the problem. if it is bad thats why you have no pedal- no vacuum. Once you replace this vacuum will stay in booster and your pedal pressure will be restored.

49-blues said:
Before you do anything i would check the plastic valve on the front of the booster that the vacuum line goes to-pop it out and see if air goes through it from both sides , if it does its no good-this is supposed to be a check valve (one way- air goes through ,the other way -no air passage ) to hold the vacuum in the booster-they re about $3.00-cheap fix if thats the problem. if it is bad thats why you have no pedal- no vacuum. Once you replace this vacuum will stay in booster and your pedal pressure will be restored.
thanks,Are you talking about the plastic canister that goes on the vacum line?I thought it was a filter because i blow in it and it flows both ways,I went to autozone and discount and they couldnt find it.What is the Name of the part? i also bled the sytem

Yes- its called a booster vacuum check valve, almost any pep boys or advance auto stores have them in the help section-just make sure it has the same size vacuum ports on it- different cars have different size ports on the check valve-about $3.00 each.

49-blues said:
Yes- its called a booster vacuum check valve, almost any pep boys or advance auto stores have them in the help section-just make sure it has the same size vacuum ports on it- different cars have different size ports on the check valve-about $3.00 each.
are you talking abou the one that plugs into the booster? or the one that is on vacuum line?. The one that plugs into the nooster seems to work fine,the other round one inline flows both ways? is tha right?

If you can here air escaping by the plunger, you may be able to fix it by removing the booster, hook it to a vacuum source, and start the car. See if you can manipulate the seal inside the booster. Sometimes they **** off center and cause a loss of vacuum. Another problem could be a cracked or broken plastic collar that the plunger rod is in the center of. If that's broken, get a new booster.

Red Regal T said:
If you can here air escaping by the plunger, you may be able to fix it by removing the booster, hook it to a vacuum source, and start the car. See if you can manipulate the seal inside the booster. Sometimes they **** off center and cause a loss of vacuum. Another problem could be a cracked or broken plastic collar that the plunger rod is in the center of. If that's broken, get a new booster.
thanks,havent had time to do any mechanic work on the car,been doing 5 straight hours of bodywork for the past 2 weeks.after I paint the car im going to pull the booster out and check it,Also found huge cracks on my mani. so more work :(