You can type here any text you want

Vacuum Brake Kit

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SPC

My Powermaster has let go a few years ago (car has been off the road since then). I (from Canada) can order VB kit online but was just wondering, if it is simpler to just go down to my local GM dealer and order the required parts there? However, I do not know all the parts that are required and their availability and just wanted to compare pricing - opinions?

But with the strength of our dollar these past few months it might just be easier to order from State side and just be done with it.

Thanks to those who respond...

Just go to napa, or any auto part store you feel comfortable with if you want to save some bucks. Here's what I wrote a few months ago for similar question.....

"guys,
I did the conversion, and i don't know who "g-body" is (I do now), but I simply bought a 'NEW" Master cyl. Assembly (with new check valve in the 'NEW' booster) from NAPA for a '87 V8 Regal ($78) and had to only "tweak/stretch" the brake lines just a bit to slide rite in to the new MS. "T" the vac line to the PVC, change the pedal to one from a V8 Regal/Monte, bleed the cyl. on the bench, and revel in late '80s gm brakes. I didn't even have to bleed the corners, tho I did anyway to flush the system.... brakes feel like a cop car impala now.... better than ever..."

To further clarify, you'll need a brake pedal from the junkyard from a PB equipped G-body, Master Cyl as above, plastic T to plumb the vacuum source, and a few feet of vac. line. That's it. I took the 'new' route vs. reman'd as the price diff. was negligible, and I wanted a NEW check valve (which I verified would hold 25+ psi). There is an extra bracket between the PM and firewall that will not be re-used with the vac. setup. All other hardware is used. Changing the pedal ass'y is a bit challenging... it's tight down/(up?) there. Expect to use various open-end/box/socket/extensions/u-joint tools as req'd to get the bolts loose, and remember what arrangement u used for putting them back in. Also, be careful and make sure to use/reuse, and not damage the nylon inserts on the pedal pivet. Seems like I had to somehow lightly tape them in with masking tape while I was replacing the pedal as they kept falling out. GNTTYPE.org has a procedure for the swap. I used it, and advice from Nick Micale (Arizona GN) on the vac. source. I couldn't be happier. Good luck!

Back