You can type here any text you want

Vacuum brakes question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TURBOV6

"SECRET PARTS"
Staff member
If I were to get a new vacuum brake set up where can I get one? I am pricing from a used set over a new one.

Is there a chrome vacuum booster available?

I imagine you could get the master cylinder, vacuum booster and fluid reservoir new from any auto parts store. Not sure if there's a bling chrome booster available.;) As for the brake pedal, I'd imagine you're only going to get that used from the junkyard, a board member or ebay or something.

KIRBANS has a nice setup I believe its just under 500..watch ebay. my girl friend bought a KIRBAN set up with out vacuum block for 176.00 .

Go to a junk yard and get the pedal assembly, boster and master cylinder from a g-body.

Seems quite expensive.

Yes sir, I don't think that kit comes with a brake pedal either?

Anyhow, Gbody.com seems to have the best deal. 175.00 bux used and 350.00 new...does include pedal. As for picking the stuff up in a junk yard, I'm not much for used brake parts.

I dont think ssbc makes a set up for buick grand nationals.master power brakes makes one but its 500.00. i dont know if i would take a chance on junk yard one . i know a lot of people do. but thats just me. i am not big on used parts on my car. if g-body parts has one for 350.00 i would buy that one. most new set ups are 500.00. plus g-body parts sells nice stuff.:biggrin:

What if I gone with this summit booster and a wilwood master

Attachments

• sum-760120.jpg
    sum-760120.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 246
wilwood master cylinder

Attachments

• wil-260-8555_cp.jpg
    wil-260-8555_cp.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 233
Or even this one

Attachments

• wil-260-4894.jpg
    wil-260-4894.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 238
Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

I Looked At That Summit Booster. Those 7" Vacuum Boosters Only Deliver 450 Psi To The Calipers, "if" You Had Vacuum. I Keep Going Back To The Reason Buick Did Not Install A Std Regal Vacuum Booster On Their Pride And Joy Turbocharged Grand National. They Could Have. They Only Cost G.m. $12.00 On The Assembly Line. Oddly Enough, They Furnished Hydroboost On The 83-85 T Types. Those Are Are Still Working After 22 Years. Buick Tried The Powermaster As An Experiment, And Were Not Worried About The Car 20 Years Into The Future. They Are Out Of Warranty. They Could Not Know How Long The Motor And Accumulator Would Last. In 1984, The Hydroboost Had Already Been Proven For 10 Years. Why Would Anyone Want To Install A Power Brake System That Buick Refused To Use, And Can Not Stop The Car, With Only 450, Maybe 850psi To The Brakes. Is Anyone Willing To Install A Pressure Guage On The Master Cyl, And/or After The Prop Valve To See What Pressure They Are Getting To The Brakes, Especially When The Vacuum Booster Is Under Manifold Pressure. The Hydroboost Delivers 2000psi To The Brakes Even When The Manifol Is Under Pressure. 2000psi. What Beats That? The Car Stops Exactly As You Ask It To. The Rotor Heat Is Reduced Dramatically. Buick 'raced" Their Cars In The "grand National" Race Series. They Won. They Had A Hydroboost And Power Steering On The Cars. It's The Only Way You Can Plow A Car That Heavy Into A Turn At Those Speeds. O.k. So You Say, "i'll Just Get A Vacuum Pump". Guess What? They Have A 1/8" Port To Draw Thru. Can It Match The "volume" Of Air That A Large Engine Can Pull Thru That Hole? No. The Vacuum Pumps Are Noisy, Burn Up In 6 Months, And Cannot Recover The Volume Of Vacuum Draw That A Vacuum Booster Needs. When A Vacuum Booster Is In The Released Position, It Has Equal Vacuum On Both Sides Of Both Diapragms. When You Apply The Brake Pedal, Atmosphere Is Let In The The Rear Side Of Those Dias. Half The Volume Of The Booster Shells. To Allow The Dias. To Release, That Atmosphere Must Be Sucked Out By The Vacuum Source. This Would Work For One Application With A Small Vacuum Pump, And Then It Has To Work It's Little Heart Out To Build Up For A Second Application. In Traffic, It Can't. If You Remember The L88 Corvettes, They Had A Monster Cam, Monster Horsepower, And Very Little Vacuum. G.m Was Afraid To Sell These Cars To The Public, Because The Vacuum Booster Would Not Work In Traffic. They Did Install Power Brakes On Every L88 Corvette, Though. To Drive That Car Into A Turn At 160mph Without Power Assist, Meant The Car Wouldn't Make The Turn. The Drivers Had To Downshift The Manual Trans To Get Vacuum Up. They Knew That. Now, We Install Hydroboosts On Those Road Cars, And Even On Vipers. It Works. They Drive The Car In Deeper Before Applying The Brakes, With Complete Confidence. Unique Performance That Builds The Foose 572 Camaros And The "eleanor" Mustangs Has Decided It Is The Answer To The Supercar Speeds. You Have A Member That Claims His Car Would Creep At 0 Boost, Now He Can Hold 22lbs Of Boost With His Foot On The Brake With The Hydroboost. They Bolt In, And Use The Same Pedal As The Powermaster.

A chrome booster!?!

Remind me to kick you in the a$$ the next time I see you!..... :D

I need sunglasses as it is, when I look into your engine compartment! :cool:

Remind me to kick you in the a$$ the next time I see you!..... :D

I need sunglasses as it is, when I look into your engine compartment! :cool:

Lol!

Think about it....Ok most of the engine parts are chrome. But now since the brakes need to be changed that corner of the engine compartment is not going to blend in. Haha! :p

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

We Can Chrome The Hydroboost! The H/b Also Does Not Need A Pedal Change. It Requires No Vacuum Or Vacuum Pump. It Delivers Up To 2000psi At Idle Pump Speed To The Calipers. You Can Run Any Cam You Want, And Not Worry About The Brakes. Look At "powerbrakesonline.com" Gallery

If I were to get a new vacuum brake set up where can I get one? I am pricing from a used set over a new one.

Cardone #50-1243 Booster w/master cylinder
Kirban #6797 Vacuum Block
Brake Fluid
Assorted New Vacuum Hoses

$162.87 delivered - booster/master
$38.90 delivered - vacuum block
~$10.00 - fluid
~$10.00 - hoses
-------
$221.77
- 75.00 sold old broken Powermaster
--------
$146.77 total outlay to convert from PM to Vacuum brakes

drilled hole in existing pedal and used bolt with nylox nut. No problems.

Will any G-body pedeal work? I am in Hawaii, shipping is high and parts cars are scarce! I found what looks to be a 1982 or 83 Monte, the write up said 85 or 85?

Thanks!

Ed

Will any G-body pedeal work? I am in Hawaii, shipping is high and parts cars are scarce! I found what looks to be a 1982 or 83 Monte, the write up said 85 or 85?

Thanks!

Ed

I'm going to say Yes.

Back