You can type here any text you want

Vacuum Conversion Kits?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

iwantatta

Was wondering if anybody knew of vacuum conversion kits without having to change the brake pedal. I'm currently having my car converted to a vacuum brake setup and they said that the kit they are using doesn't require the changing of the brake pedal. From all that i've read on these forums it seems that the kits require the changing of the brake pedal. The reason i ask also is that the conversion kit they purchased for my car was a little more expensive than what i had expected it to be and what i've seen for sale on the internet. Maybe they are using something different.

Brakes

Where did you get yours? I am currently in the market for changing mine also. Was looking at Master Power's brake kit or ordering one from a supplier like Gbodyparts.

check with

Red Regal T on this board, he has/ had kits avail reasonable with pedal.
Hint. remove the drivers seat, and lay down and change the pedal. alot easier.

Not sure where they got mine from. Just suprised it doesn't need the brake pedal swap and was wondering if anybody has done the conversion without the brake pedal swap.

I don't think you Need to swap pedals, but you would have to drill a new hole to relocate the rod mount. It is just alot easier to swap the correct pedal. :cool:
Would like to know where this New kit comes from.:biggrin:

i bought a kit 8 years ago, i think the booster has failed. the car has a hard pedal like no vacuum. thinking about a new kit, the one i have had no new pedal but also don't know who made it. any input is very much appreciated.

Any one every use this kit before. Looks like you don't need to change the pedal or drill holes.

Buick Turbo Regal - Master Power Brakes - GM High-Tech Performance

Same thing we all use, except they remove the orig. powermaster brake pedal and DRILL a new hole in the pedal arm 1.5" lower than the PM hole to refit the pin in.... and they charge $495 for the kit :eek: (w/o the vac pump used in the article).... much easier to just change to a vac. pedal assy.... the pedal still has to come out.... and the rest of the 'kit' is available new at NAPA for ~$150 (booster/MC ASSEMBLY for 1987 NA Buick Regal).... it's really not rocket science.... :confused:

i bought a kit 8 years ago, i think the booster has failed. the car has a hard pedal like no vacuum. thinking about a new kit, the one i have had no new pedal but also don't know who made it. any input is very much appreciated.

replace the booster.... like $60 at NAPA.... see above.....

I don't think you Need to swap pedals, but you would have to drill a new hole to relocate the rod mount. It is just alot easier to swap the correct pedal. :cool:
Would like to know where this New kit comes from.:biggrin:

yup.....

When I did this vacuum brake conversion years ago my kit did not come with a brake pedal, I believe I bought the kit from( Eastern Performance) I had to re-drill the stock powermaster pedal as was said above, not a big deal to do but it's an easier swap if you have another brake pedal on hand to put in.

Installed the booster and master cylinder from NAPA.. I have not had this good of a brake feel since ,well, since I bought my Buick 9 years ago. THANK YOU so much.

what all did you have to buy? how much $$ did everything cost? Im thinking of switching over.

Same thing I'd like to know. I've heard of $160 for both the new M/C and brake booster plus the rod. But the big $50 question is, was that a brand new or a rebuilt unit?

Because rebuilt stuff from chain stores calls into question trustworthiness.

Don't wanna be this guy....

0405htp_brakes_01_z.jpg

Same thing I'd like to know. I've heard of $160 for both the new M/C and brake booster plus the rod. But the big $50 question is, was that a brand new or a rebuilt unit?

argh!.... The rod COMES WITH/IS-PART-OF THE BOOSTER!... Mine was $150-ish NEW, not rebuilt.... some years back.... you are given the choice of either at the NAPA counter.... why don't you just call napa and price it both ways??? - '87 Buick Regal, 5.0 Liter, booster/mc ASSEMBLY...... :confused: :)

PS - where'd you get that car-toon???? LOL....

Back