Valve cover removal puzzle

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
Trying to remove PS valve cover. Car has the AC heat shield and taller VCs in place.

Trying to temove the lower rear allen head bolt, 1/4 turn at a time. Ball end wrench won't fit because of the angle. Modified a wrench and still no go. The wire loom is out of the way . . . Kinda. There got to be a better way short of tipping the engine or pulling it right?

Already walked away 6 times so what is the trick?

A Chapman driver set would probably work but if you had one I'm sure you would have already tried it.

I just did this today, pita but got it done. Keep turn the allen skrew until its all the way loose,1/4 turn at a time is all i got. Then you have to kinda weasol the valve cover up a little and pull the skrew halfway also. Keep swearing at it as loud as you can, it helps. It will come out, its not much easier to get back in either. That pesky ac box over there is a real albatross in the way.

I zip tied that flat wire loom up out of the way and it wasn't that bad. I think sometimes you have to turn the motor over a bit to lower the #6 rocker

It is a process Jerryl, no real easy way around it. I'm running tall VC's too. I did though remove the shield afterward though. Much easier going back. On the upside I have driven the car about 800 miles since and have noticed no change in AC interior temp. Still cold cold, so I'll assume the shield had little affect in the first place.
FWIW, removing the bottom shield bolt was awful and must be removed from under the car but really lets that VC slide right in place now.

Took me all day. Lol.
Got is off but will be removing the heat shield, modifying it and putting it back on.
Here us a pic of the bolt . . the paint pen indicates where the heat shield will be cut out.
The tall VCs rub against the heat shield so something has to change.

Attachments

• 20170409_190404.jpg
    20170409_190404.jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
I am using screws from the hardware store with an 11 mm head. I can get a 1/4" drive socket on that screw although its still a pita. I have stock valve covers.

I removed the shield. Makes taking off that vc much easier.

You need two people. I was killing myself trying to do it by myself. When my bro showed up, we got it in 2 seconds.