You can type here any text you want

Valve Spring Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rotti54

So I see a lot of guys change valve springs as a mod. My question is, is this necessary if the original stock motor has less than 30,000 miles? Motor has a TE 54 turbo, walbro w hot wire kit, 50lb injectors, extender chip, MAF translator plus LT1 MAF, AFP regulator, Terry Houston DP, RJC boost controller, ATR 2.5 inch exhaust, a precision front mount intercooler, with scanmaster and alky injection. Do the heads need to be opened for new push rods and valve springs or can they be left stock due to the low mileage on the car??? Also does it need a different torque converter for stock trans???

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

So I see a lot of guys change valve springs as a mod. My question is, is this necessary if the original stock motor has less than 30,000 miles? Motor has a TE 54 turbo, walbro w hot wire kit, 50lb injectors, extender chip, MAF translator plus LT1 MAF, AFP regulator, Terry Houston DP, RJC boost controller, ATR 2.5 inch exhaust, a precision front mount intercooler, with scanmaster and alky injection. Do the heads need to be opened for new push rods and valve springs or can they be left stock due to the low mileage on the car??? Also does it need a different torque converter for stock trans???

Most would say time, not miles, is the enemy if you have original valve springs. So even if you only have less than 30k you may be missing out on some power on the big end with the tired springs. Springs can be installed with the head on.

As far as the converter, if you're still running a stock converter with the TE54 then the answer is a definite yes.

Most would say time, not miles, is the enemy if you have original valve springs. So even if you only have less than 30k you may be missing out on some power on the big end with the tired springs. Springs can be installed with the head on.

As far as the converter, if you're still running a stock converter with the TE54 then the answer is a definite yes.

Ok what springs and push rods would be best to use then?

Forgot to add, you'd need around a 3400 stall for that turbo. And if the rest of your trans is all stock you're eventually going to have to beef it up as well.

Wow that much converter huh? I was thinking 2800 or 3000 maybe.

All these mods are in a car I'm looking at buying. So I was thinking that there was still a few thousands in mods that needed to be done. I don't want to take away from the low mileage and value of the car so I want it to be able to go back to stock if necessary one day. Ugh man this might get expensive quickly

Wow that much converter huh? I was thinking 2800 or 3000 maybe.

I could be wrong. You might be able to get away with 3200 but I don't think you'd be using that turbo to its full potential with anything less. You might want to wait until someone with more expertise in this area chimes in before you rush out and by yourself a belated Christmas gift :D

Ok ill serif anyone else Hassan opinion on the matter lol thank you bud

All these mods are in a car I'm looking at buying. So I was thinking that there was still a few thousands in mods that needed to be done. I don't want to take away from the low mileage and value of the car so I want it to be able to go back to stock if necessary one day. Ugh man this might get expensive quickly

Yup, a full or replenishable wallet is definitely helpful with these cars :D

Yeah I know only downfall is how much it will cost :(.

With all those mods done to the car, I'd have a hard time believing the owner hasn't been out beating on it...so the engine and transmission might be getting tired...and need to be freshened up. Have you physically verified it has the stock D5 convertor in it. If it does have the D5 convertor and you want the car...then the easiest solution would be to buy a 44/49 turbo that matches the convertor...and sell off the the 54. Just a thot. Good luck with whatever you do.

Yeah I know only downfall is how much it will cost :(.

The car has nice mods on it already so hopefully after you get it all sorted out it won't be too bad to maintain. The faster you want to go the more often you'll need to open up that wallet :)

That was a great idea Scooby had to sell the 54 and throw in a 44/49 if the car only has a D5 on it now and you don't want to buy a new converter. Don't know what the goals are for the car but 44/49's easily go 11's. And it just so happens I might be selling my spare 49 after I get it rebuilt ;)

I was planning on sending it to bison. It also has the Garrett .63 exhaust housing which is what you want for a quick spool if the car still has a stock D5 converter. Price including shipping (USPS economy) would be in the $625 to $650 range. Here's a photo of it as it sits right now:

TA49 photo 1 (before rebuild).jpg

I bought this turbo off a board member only 5 months ago fresh off a rebuild (not by bison). It had 0 miles on it, thats why it still looks relatively new. Then it started to smoke. Not sure if it was due to a bad rebuild, contaminated oil, whatever. I'm not taking any chances this time thats why I was planning on sending it to bison.

Another option would be to sell it as is for about $300 and you can send it to whomever you want to get it rebuilt.

If the prices seem high thats because I'm actually hesitant to sell it. Its always nice to have a spare turbo sitting around. Lol

Gotcha sounds good can you spin it around and shoot a pic of it from the other side for me too

Here you go:

TA49 photo 2 (before rebuild).jpg TA49 photo 5 (before rebuild).jpg TA49 photo 3 (before rebuild).jpg TA49 photo 4 (before rebuild).jpg TA49 photo 6 (before rebuild).jpg

In the second to last photo you can see oil build up behind the turbine wheel. This small leak was causing the smoking.

These are the photos I already had on my hard drive. I can send you any photo you want when I return from my trip next Wed.

If you were thinking of rebuilding it yourself I even have pics of the wheels and housings showing they are still in good shape.

Back