You can type here any text you want

Vaucum Check Valve?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I have noticed in some of the engine conpartment photo's that many of you with vacum brakes go from the vacum block Directly to the powermaster check valve?

So i deleted my inline check vale today and ran my line straight to the powermaster and my brakes feel Real firm not sluggish like before....

Is this ok to do?

I appreciate your time and thoughts

That's an inline filter in your hand. The check valve is attached to the booster. What you are running the vacuum line to is the booster, not a powermaster. ;) Powermaster is the name of the system that came stock on 86/87 cars.

Your filter could have been plugged not allowing good flow to the booster. If that's the case, if you run sans filter, guess where the fumes/oil is going to go? I'm sure someone with more experience in vacuum brakes than I will offer more insight on whether the filter is necessary. :) I would guess that it would have been needed more in an older carb'ed car.

Filter?

That's an inline filter in your hand. The check valve is attached to the booster.
Believe it or not what ever that is filter or some form of check valve it was in between the vacuum block and the booster. Without it my brakes feel great....

Then it was probably plugged. :) Not getting good vac to that booster = not so good braking.

1quick6 i see you have hydroboost now,when you had vacum brakes did you have a filter in between the vacum block and the booster?

I never had vacuum. I went from stock Powermaster brakes to hydroboost. The 1989 Turbo Trans Am (same 3.8 SFI Turbo as the TR) had vacuum brakes from the factory and it didn't have a filter that I know of.

There are four different braking systems you can choose for 86/87 Turbo Regals. Powermaster (factory stock), vacuum, hydroboost, and manual brakes.

I drove it to work today without that filter which by the way is over 50 miles one way and my brakes feel like a whole New brake system....

I wish i had done this way back when i bought the car....

filter

I put vacuum brakes on about 30k mi ago without a filter and my brakes still work great

If your filter is plugged with debri then that supports a reason it should be there. If the filter didn't stop it, the debri would be in the check valve and booster. All my cars have the filter on it and have no issues.

I have had my vacuum brakes on my car now for over three years and never installed any type of filter or check valve other than the stock one in the booster and my brakes with the BAER disc upgrade can stop from 40 mph within one car length....

Enjoy the vacuum brakes! ;)

Scot W.

Interesting,it does not appear to be full of debris because i can blow thru it just fine.

I also noticed that on most of the vacum brake cars i do not see that filter.

I looked on ebay at Turbo Trans Ams just to see if i could find one with a filter and did not see any.

Last time at the track i ran a 12.31 @ 111 mph and when i tried to slow down it was like i had No brakes....

I replaced rear wheel cylinders and pads and per Razor's suggestion i purchased a billet check valve and things felt better but once i deleted the filter it is 100% better without it.

At any rate i do appreciate everyones time and thoughts....

Back