You can type here any text you want

Waltrip's NASCAR Grand National

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

b4black

I had some time to kill while in Charlotte yesterday, so I stopped by the NASCAR Hall Of Fame. Very impressed. The major exhibit is the "Road to Glory" which shows how race cars have evolved over the years. This is the last week before they redo the exhibit with all new cars. For the early '80's, it's Darrell Waltrip's Regal. In 1981, NASCAR told teams that had the start racing the smaller wheel base cars. The aerodynamic Regal dominated. Unlike today's "stock" cars, this car still has some production pieces on it. The hood, headers panel, grille, headlight bezels, bumpers are all production parts. The grille is a stock with window (bug) screen over it.

DW HOF.jpg
DW HOF close up.jpg
DW HOF dash.jpg
DW HOF rear.jpg

I always like the cars more so than the driver's (but I always was a Richard Petty fan. :) )
Through the the early 80's, stock cars where still stock looking. When NASCAR let Buick race FWD LeSabres and then later four door Lumina's, I stopped watching for the most part. Today, you change car's brand by changing it's stickers.

Super cool video on the 1981 Daytona 500 and the new Regals.

CoT killed NASCAR in my opinion.
At least for me.
Quit watching it when they started running 4 door sedan models dressed up as 2 door race cars.
The good ole days were really good.

I have to agree that the good old days were good. Stock car racing was great in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. The cars at least resembled cars on the showroom floor. I got to put a clutch in a Junior Johnson Winston Cup showcar that came into the performance shop I worked at in the 70's. I loved laying under that car and looking at how it was built. I enjoyed the Daytona video. The Allisons started racing where I grew up in Hialeah, Fl. They moved to Alabama, but would come back to visit. Neil Bonnet drove a borrowed late model modified car one night at Hialeah while he was visiting and blew everyone away until a tie rod end broke and put him into the wall. I could not believe anyone could go that deep into the turns. All those guys were awesome drivers. The Allisons and Red Farmer all moved to Alabama and joined Neil Bonnet, and the rest is history. Hialeah Speedway is now a bunch of warehouses.

Speaking of Allison.... Bobby has been spending alot of time at RC's shop. I may ask him if he would want to make a trip to BG to maybe sign some autographs and take pics....

Back