You can type here any text you want

WANT TO REMOVE HEATER HOSES

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JAMCAR223

http://turbobuick.com/threads/can-i-remove-the-heater-hoses.118957/
I was searching on how to do this, and came across this old thread, but I want to be sure I understand this fully before I do it. Wouldn't mind hearing from Earl Brown, Nick Micale, or anybody who has actually done this. Here's what I understand...

Remove heater hoses and hard lines / cap the inlet & outlet on the heater core / cap the nipple on the water pump / install pipe plug ( 1/2" NPT ) on the manifold / plug vacuum line going to the heater valve. Nothing else?? Does anybody have any pics of this ? Probably not necessary, just curious..

Your gonna get a lot of coolant on everything! Drain the fluid from the peacock valve on the radiator. This will drain the level down a bit. Doesn't have to be empty out just got to get the level lower. Sometimes hoses just need to be cut if they are original sometimes they just come off. If the car is old the heater valve is probably rusted through and trash.
Now if your just wanting to remove it cause your not using the heater anymore then just cap it and your gonna need a npt plug for the intake. Not sure the size just get a small cap for the vacuum line and tuck it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No coolant on anything here, the draining is done. Hoses came off just fine, they were not original, nor was the valve. All that has been removed already. I'm cleaning up the engine compartment, and I live in Houston, so heater is not necessary.

Is my process correct?? Cap heater core inlet & outlet / cap water pump nipple / install 1/2" NPT plug in the intake manifold - And nothing else??

Your method is correct. 4 outlets need to be capped. 2 at the heater core, one at the intake manifold, and the last being at the water pump.

I didn't cap the heater core as there is no reason, nothing will be going in or out of it. You can blow the left over coolant out if you wish but I did not cap it. As for the rest you are correct. very easy. installing the cap on the water pump can be a little pain.

Here is mine
View media item 189

I didn't cap the heater core as there is no reason, nothing will be going in or out of it. You can blow the left over coolant out if you wish but I did not cap it. As for the rest you are correct. very easy. installing the cap on the water pump can be a little pain.

You are correct, but the only reason I would cap it is to protect it that crud doesn't get in it over time if it is still good, and so I don't cut myself on the edge of that if I'm working on a valve cover or something behind the intake. You will be surprised how deep that thing can cut you. lol

Thanks to all that replied - much appreciated! It does look like the water pump will be a pain to get at, but I will manage. Concerning the "trapped" water in the heater core... what do you guys think would yield the best results? Blow it out OR vacuum it out OR.... ? I want to cap the core to for a clean look, and to keep dirt, bugs, etc. out for possible use in the future.

I'd keep water with some anti-freeze or water pump rust preventer/lube in the heater core with the caps.

I've seen them turn to dust when dried, not usable in the future.

Just my .02.

I'd keep water with some anti-freeze or water pump rust preventer/lube in the heater core with the caps.

I've seen them turn to dust when dried, not usable in the future.

Just my .02.
Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind. I appreciate all the comments / suggestions.

Back