You can type here any text you want

Wanting to get XM radio?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JDSfastGN

I am fed up with all the local radio stations and would love to upgade to XM. I have a pioneer DEH6500 head unit that is supposedly XM ready. So what else is required to run it. Sorry to sound so dumb, as im really not up to date on XM. I've been looking at this link http://www.ikesound.com/category-category_id/832 What off of there would work for me? And what do i need? both an adaptor for the reciever and an antenna then pay for the service? What brands should i look at. Thanks for any help guys. I'd be installing this myself so any tips would be great as well. And where is everybody mounting them so they don't stick out like a sore thumb on my GN? Thanks again:cool:

I have had XM for a long time now. You will love it! In fact you will hate being in a car without it! Get one of the half dollar sized Micro antennas and try different locations. You may be able to go completely stealth and put it on the rear or front trays by the window. If not, route the wire behind the window molding and fish it back on the outside.
I had a Pioneer box to work with my XM ready Pioneer radio but it wasn't easily swapped into another vehicle. I let it go with my truck since taking it out was a PITA! I bought a SkyFi2 now and love it. It plugs into the cig lighter and I bought the $30.00 cable to hook it direct to my Pioneer tuner (best sound reproduction) and I can take it from car to car if the other ones have the antenna ready to go. Go here and check it out www.xm411.com

Originally posted by JDSfastGN I've been looking at this link http://www.ikesound.com/category-category_id/832 What off of there would work for me? And what do i need?
Terk XMDPIO100 <--Hooks to Pioneer CD player
Pioneer GEX-P910 XM <--Hooks to Terk unit above
Pioneer AN-91XM <--Any XM antenna should work, but that one looks pretty small. The ant. plugs into the Pioneer unit above

Antenna mounting depends. Outside mounted on the middle of the trunk very as close to the edge (near rear window of course) as possible would be best for reception. If you don't want it outside of the vehicle, you could mount it on top of the dash near where the windshield meets the dash. The XM may cut out on you from time to time if located inside. The rear window is pretty much straight up and down with no slope to it, so I wouldn't recommend the rear deck. You could give it a shot though.

xm

It is a great system, espcially if your genre specific. Far as Antenna mount need to put on roof, if possible, for best reception. If not it will be blocked at some angle. Just remember, under overpasses and any kind of ceiling it will not generally pick up. Need to mount where no obstructions on any side.

i have it in 3 of my cars and i have the myfi that i run thru the tape deck in the gn with the antenna suction cupped to the glass.

xm is great, i cant go on any trip without it!

I have XM in my truck and it's okay, but my wife has Sirius in her car and to tell you the truth I like it better. It seems like Sirius plays better music and has a stronger signal (they have 3 satellites to XM's 2). I think you can get a tuner that will allow you to run either type with that Pioneer unit too.

I know this doesn't help because you already have a Pioneer head unit... but one time my brother and I both bought Satellite radio. I got Sirius, and he got XM. Long story short we both now have Sirius. There system is a lot better and I like thier organization of stations better.

Though compared to regular radio... XM will be awesome.

Back