You can type here any text you want

wanting to upgrade

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mikemike5601

Hello, I recently brought a 1987 GN complete setup beside the dash harness, i hope i dont need it because i put the setup in a differnt car but im trying to find out what all can i do to get better performance with out going inside the motor, can anybody out here help me???? i have a bigger fuel pump but no adjustable regulator no boost gauge an no boost controller but im going to get the boost gauge and controller today in about a hour but i want to know what i need to perform better PLEASE HELP ME WITH INFO SOMEBODY...............

OH YEAH, i just did the exhaust yesterday but i dont think they did a great job because they put a straight pipe to 1 muffler then cut a whole on the side of that one about 16-28 in. from the connector and welded the second muffler on., i dont think that was a good idea but somebody let me know

Post more info and pictures of your combination. A bigger turbo, Turbo Tweak chip, adjustable regulator, 3" down pipe, bigger intercooler, ported heads, ported intake, roller cam, stroker crank, steel rods, 70mm throttle body, alcohol injection (Alky Control), bigger injectors,.............read....read, read this website on what guys are doing to go fast. You have posted a very open ended question. What is your budget and intended useage of the car.

Ok, well at the moment i dont have any pics and its going to be a weekend fun car, but i want to do every possible upgrade to the engine with out going inside it. I wanna know what size turbo to go with, what kind of injectors or size, what kinda of ecu or chip, what kind of stall, what kind of gear for the rear end, my budget is not that much but at the same time i just want to get a list of all things i need to get with a stock engine. I have a boost controller, adjustable regulator i need some help

I Think you missed Ken's point when he was saying ...read, read! In order to keep from having to go into the engine w/using just bolt on's. You must have the tuning knowledge to keep it together. Even using the TT chip will require tuning to get the most HP from a stock engine. And reading will prevent you from having to pick up the peices due to the lack of understanding. Get yourself up to speed and continue asking questions as you gain knowledge and you will be a happy camper while having the knowledge to help others that are still learning like the rest of us.

60 pph injectors and a chip from Turbotweak, scanmaster (also from turbo tweak), TE-44 or a new ball bearing turbo about that size from gbodyparts.com, 2,800-3,200 converter from PTC (a little room to grow in case you upgrade turbo later), pick up Dutt-neck stock location intercooler or another SLIC (new or used), a good downpipe (3"), and find a GN rear with 3.42's or change your gears to about that same ratio (assuming you are using a 4 speed auto).

And, as suggested, read, read, read. Read posts on scanmasters, turbos, intercoolers, converters, spring cleaning, etc, etc, etc. Check peoples sigs, but keep in mind sometimes those setups work, while some spend an outrageous amount of money and don't get much bang for the buck. Stock longblock, stock turbo, stock cam motors have gone low 11's, high 10's when you are patient and learn to tune. Invest wisely.

Well tuning is not my problem bcuz my cousin owns a dyno/ tune shop I just wanted a list of things yo buy for a stock long block before I just go broke on rebuilding the whole engine

Look into a Powerlogger, which will log your runs or tuning sessions on the dyno. Very valuable info on the datalogs will allow you to tune smartly. And I have no idea who your cousin is, so don't take offense to this, but tuning a turbo Buick is a little different than tuning any other street or race car. They are like finicky women. Not everyone can jump right in and tune one with ease. Tuning these cars is similar to building a turbo Buick motor. You need to find someone familiar with them or risk things not surviving. Sometimes we learn the hard way, the turbo Buick engine is not just like a SBC or SBF with regards to clearances, etc.

I am sure once you read a butt-ton of info on this board, you and your cousin would do well, just make sure you study up. Oh, and welcome to the sickness. ;)

Ok but he don't mess with many buicks but he do build a lot of turbo v8 in miami, Fl and is well known

Here are a few simple things to do that give a nice seat of the pants boost in performance.

Do the spring cleaning. http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html
Block off the hot coolant that circulates under the throttle body.
Pick up a 160 degree thermostat
Turbo tweak chip
Modify your fresh air intake by modding the original airbox or by removing it & replacing with a K&N type of filter. I prefer the AFE Pro-Guard 7 filter. You could also purchase a cold air kit. Beware of the stud & nut that sticks out from the alternater bracket. It can poke a hole in your fresh air intake hose.

At this point my car started breaking the rear end loose during normal driving/acceleration. You also need to pick up a ScanMaster & learn what its readings mean.

~JM~

But thanks for the infos I read up on the website when I get my computer out the shop bcuz surfing this site on my phone makes me fustrated

Back