You can type here any text you want

Was This Caused By Surpassing Rev-Limiter?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ZBass28

Boost Junkie
Well, on a good note I was finally able to cure my high rpm stumble. Turns out one of my brand new Magnecor plug wires was bad and was the culprit...not happy :mad:

Anyway, I was doing some tuning last night and nailed it in 1st gear. Car reved a little faster than I was anticipating and I ended up hitting about 7062 rpms, both the FAST and my MSD are set to 7000 rpms max. At the time I hadn't known that I passed the limit but after this happened the car basically shut down as I was driving. The engine was still running but the gas pedal was ineffective and would seem to 'gag' the car if I would depress it. Vacuum gauge was well below 20"Hg while this happened. The car basically came to a rolling stop and then promptly died. Turned the key and it fired right up and everything was back to normal.

I am assuming the fuel pump was cut-off, or at least that's what it felt like. Does this sound like the cause or perhaps something else. Since I have the FAST piggybacked with my stock PCM is it possible that once the stock PCM saw 7K that it shut the fuel pump down? Very strange to say the least but it looks like everything is fine.

If you are referring to exceeding the values on the VE tables then no I had not.

I've got my high rpm limit set at 7K and my low rpm limit set at 6500. I wondering why I wasn't able to regain any engine power at all after this episode. Only thing I can think of is somehow the stock PCM got involved and maybe shut the fuel pump down. It was really strange because the engine continued to run as it was coasting, but more so at a low speed and then died as if it ran out of the fuel that was in the rails and lines.

If your rev limit is 7000, I would set the MSD to limit you to 7000 and have the FAST rev limit you to about 7200-7300 or something.

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

I would never use magnacores again.. nothing but poping, get some msd 8.5 superconductors.

The ECU should recover just fine after you hit the rev limiter. Once you get below the rev limit low setting the injectors should take off again, so I'm not sure why the car died on you.

As far as plug wires go, and without trying to contradict Norbs, we at FAST have never seen anything but trouble with MSD wires. We love everything else they make but have solved countless problems by having people replace MSD wires with another brand. YRMV.

Bobc455-

That's exactly what I did last night! :) And to give myself a little more cushion I am setting my shift light to come on about 200 rpm quicker. ;)

I ended up going with Taylor Spiro-pros and so far so good, car pulls strong but needs a refresher on the tuning now that it seems to be running better. I'm still runnin' out of fuel up top though so that's the next issue to address.

I'm perplexed as well as to why I couldn't regain engine control after that little episode. Must have something to do with the stupid stock PCM. Had the car out last night and it was performing fine.

Thanks for the help guys!

Back