Waste Of Time

karst#9

I talked to this guy about this car on the phone Auto Trader and I drove 4 1/2 hours, looked at the car, and I thought we had a deal made. Later in the week I called him back and he said he had a Grand National for sale too. I told him I would bring a trailer and pick both cars up. When I got there I looked at the Grand National, which was real rough, and we made another deal. I told him I would take it, and then he changed his mind and said he wanted to keep the wheels. I asked him how I was supposed to get it back without any wheels and he said he didn't really want to get rid of the car anyway. :confused: Then I said that's fine, I'll take the T-type, and he said that the car had started smoking during that week while he was driving it. I asked if I could check the turbo and the turbo was shot. I did a compression test to make sure the motor was good and I told him I'd still take the car. At this point he started saying he'd had the car for six years and it would be hard to get rid of it. He started taking his stuff out of it and said he was going to keep the battery and the scan master. :rolleyes: I told him our deal was with the car as is and he said nope, the deal was off. At this point I had wasted 18 hours of travel time, plus $200 in gas, plus the time I spent on the phone and the time I spent listening to his crap. He still has this car listed and a turbo Trans Am plus the Grand National. If he doesn't want to sell any of them why does he have them listed? Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to let you guys know my experience.

That is pretty cheesy! I hate that for you. Doesn't sound like there's much you can do, though. Sometimes you can trust people's word, and sometimes you can't. I hope you find one even better, Bud.

Originally posted by karst#9
If he doesn't want to sell any of them why does he have them listed?

From what you've said, it sounds like, he's just an idiot.

I'm to the stage of when a deal goes south, that I figure I'm just closer to getting the car I really want.

The universe seems to have an adequate supply of hydrogen, and stupidity. :)

I hope you knocked the rest of this Hillbillies teeth out,if not I will pay for your gas to go back and do it...
What a Funker...

:mad:

FWIW & IMHO:
No flaming intended here either way.
I hate to hear of anybody going back on their word, especially if you guys had shaken on the first deal when you looked at the car. On the other hand, it would have been best to have him accept a small token down payment, and then you would have been inclined to have wanted something in writing to protect your down payment, and it would have specified the total payment and the terms, and at least the first deal would have been locked in reasonably solid. It really sounds like he wanted to break the deal, like he had a better offer somewhere, and he just jerked you around till you got pizzed, and both parties mutually borke the deal. Without a handshake, down payment, and some paperwork, it makes it rather convenient for the deal to be broken by either party. Sorry for your loss and
HTH next time.

I hate to even respond to this post, but since you made this fiasco public, I will tell my side of the story. You agreed to buy the GN without even looking at it! So having that deal not go through is no real surprise. You looked at the Limited twice. You had an opportunity to buy it the first time but didn’t. The second time you came to look at it, I informed you that the car was sometimes smoking and that it was probably due to the turbo seals going out. We agreed to a price and you did a compression test. You still wanted the car at that point and I thought we had a deal, so I was going to take my tools out of the car, my plates, my registration, and my scanmaster. The scanmaster is what broke the deal in my mind. You thought it went with the car; I had no intention of selling it with the car. We simply didn’t talk about that. I had no plan to keep the battery in the Limited, I don’t know why that was brought up. The GN didn’t even have one. The GTA wheels you mentioned where on the GN and I would have preferred to keep them. I had a second set of rims and tires that would have went with the car, I thought I made that clear. In my mind, all this bickering over these little details on this board is ridiculas and only goes to hurt this community. To get someone on the outside to understand all this is just going to be a confusing mess. The bottom line as I see it is: we had nothing in writing and no money ever changed hands between us. We had some verbal communications that were really just worthless, like agreeing to buy the GN without even looking at it. I wish this thread was deleted. All I want now is my stolen car back. Please see my post in the lounge and in the stolen section. Thanks.

Paul, yes, I did agree to buy the GN sight unseen, and that's why I brought a trailer and a buddy to drive the Limited back home, but when I got there and we looked at it you decided you wanted to keep the wheels. I asked how I was supposed to get it on the trailer and you said you had 2 junk wheels and tires. You didn't mention keeping the wheels on the phone, but I said OK and still intended to buy the car. We dicked around for two more hours and finally you decided you didn't want to get rid of the car,

To continue the last post, IT WAS NO REAL SUPRISE. At that point I decided to just take the limited, which you said started smoking during the week. I did a compression test and said I would still take the car. You said you had the car for six years and it would be hard to get rid of it. After hem-hawing around you said you were going to get your stuff out of it and keep the scanmaster which I thought was in the deal. You said "No, the deal is off". I went to my pickup and my buddy said "he wants to keep the battery out of it too". I said "#*&$^ him". By that time it was almost midnight and I still had four more hours home and had to be at work at 7 AM. The only reason I posted this is because I wanted everyone else to have fair warning about you because you're not going to sell anything! By the way, the grin on my post was not because the car got stolen. I don't think that's funny at all. It was because I was thinking I bet you wish you would have followed through and sold it, because you still wouldn't have the car but at least you'd have the cash. Also, if the car is stolen why is it still posted for sale on Autotrader? I just looked and it's still there.

Kirk, We had/have several misunderstandings. One, the scanmaster was not part of the deal. When you said that you thought it was, I said that if you wanted to back out of the deal it was OK with me. I didn't mean that I would not sell the car. I thought that you did not want to buy it because of that.

Another misunderstanding is that I didn't say that I was going to keep the battery out of it. I said to your friend not to forget to take your battery that was still in the GN.

Third, you said that you did not want the GN. At least that's what I remember.

What I remember saying about the GTA rims is that I preferred to keep them if you didn't want them. I had/have a set of 14 inch rims that were on the car when I bought it, and those are the rims that I would have put on it.

I left the autotrader add in, hoping to get the car back within a couple of days. That hasn't happened. Also, it doesn't cost me anything to leave it in, but it will cost me to relist it if I have to.

One other thing, I was talking sentimentally about the cars. I didn't mean to make it sound like I wasn't going to sell them to you. It must of just came out that way. Selling these cars is a two edge sword. Dollar signs in one eye and a tear in the other wathching your baby drive off.