Wastegate noise?

HATS OFF TO BRIAN!

Originally posted by Brian Mc

Maybe compressor slam won't destroy a turbo, but there's no downside to having a BOV that's set up right,
other than the high cost. :)

(BOVs cost any where from approx. $125-275 usually.)

As TB said, Brian is precisely right!

Just another case of: "youse pays yo' money, youse takes yo' choice". :)

I think there is a downside to having a BOV that is not needed...and that is, just one more thing that can cause you problems, but will do you no good.....why waste the $$ (unless you are running a manual trans 8 sec car)

I think the answer to the fellow's question is the noise he is hearing is normal, not a problem

it also takes money to get good et's...

why do people (turbosam) hate BOV's so much? just wondering.

-jeff

ease of the gas pedal a little slower and the noise will disappear forever...and u save a couple hundred bucks.

im my opinion, bov aree a luxury not a necessity. im not putting one on because like AZGN said, its not needed.

if you learn how your car behaves, you will have no problem figuring out how to stop the flutter

compressor surge is a completly different subject.

surej

azgn- it should only cause problems if not installed properly. and if you suspect a problem, remove it, cover the flange opening, and see if problem goes away. many sub 8 second cars run them i.e. Supras, Eclipses, Skylines, etc and many cars have them stock i.e. VW, Audi, etc have diverter valves (same type as Bailey valve) even on automatics i do believe. you say its no good but anything that MAY lengthen the life of your turbo and get rid of that flutter noise (if you dislike it) and improve recovery after letting out of boost and getting back into it seems good to me.

iamjeff- yes it does. i think its BOV envy more than anything. they just wish they had one.

DR BOOST- i agree its a luxury. i personally dont want to have to try and think about my foot while driving or during a panic stop but i guess thats just my opinion.

if you want a BOV get one, if not, dont. i kow i will be getting one soon.

p.s. Brian Mc- did you listen to all those BOVs on that link i posted? which one did you like the best?

iamjeff- I don't hate BOV's, just like any part they have their place, just not on TR's. If I had a supra with a big turbo and a manual, I would probably have one. Like azgn said, its just another place for problems. I had a board member practically give me one, because it didn't do anything for him and was causing problems. Its the KISS principle. As far as money to go fast, well, I can list quite a few people who have less money than me in their cars but are faster (at least for now!;) ), becuase they have more experience and track time than me. With these cars, its all about the tune, which can't really be bought. If I seem adimate about BOV's, its not because I hate them, but because a couple guys here jump into every newbies first posts saying it will hurt the turbo for it to flutter, and a BOV will fix it. You can't fix what ain't broke.

BOV envy? Trust me, I don't envy anyone slower than me. I envy guys with knowledge and experience like azgn, steve wood, turbodave, etc. Who also don't use BOV's, btw. It all comes down to who you want to listen to, and I choose to listen to the guys who have been around a while and done some stuff.

I can give you a prime example of why money doesn't matter so much in the TR world. 2 years ago, I had a very similar setup to turbo buicks. And I was using RA's chips, to no avail. So I threw money at it, only to go slower. I was mad, and truthfully didn't know what the problem was. Then I started talking to guys like Jack Cotton and the such, and went way faster. Knowledge is the key, and this board is full of it. When I called Jack Cotton, Red Armstrong, Mike Licht, Patrick Rubio, etc., they all suggested improvments I need to make and never was a BOV mentioned, nor do they use them. Wonder why?

My only hope is that we haven't scared off this guy, and if we did, I'm partially responsible for it. I can admit that, but I'm just trying to guide a newcomer in the right direction, and try to help him understand his car, like so many did for me.

Hmm... I thought the fluttering sound was the GN rasberrying a car it just blew away!!!!

Woohoo

can you tell the difference between the sound of a intergal(sp) wastegat and a external wastegate. i listened to a bunch of them at BG, but i couldnt really notice a difference.

-jeff

Turbosam I just want to know why your avatar is humping a Honda symbol?

WTF is up with that?:D

I guess because the GN's are always f**king the hondas over? I dunno, I actually stole that avatar from someone else on another board. Wish I could take the credit, but when I saw it I had to use it.

Just to throw my $.02 on the fire...

Many of the cars mentioned that have BOV's are manual trans cars, because you usually lift to shift. My Talon has a bov and it vents back right in front of the compressor side of the turbo. Works fine but I only run ~14 psi of boost.

My 11 second GN doesn't have one, I have a small turbo (TE-44) and a front mount, common sense stops me from slamming the throttle shut at 23 lbs of boost...

If they work BOV's are fine but they can leak and cause other problems. I have seen a few on GN's but more often than not they are not hooked up any longer.

Kinda like a turbo timer or synthetic oil, does it work, maybe - does it cost more - definately.

Good luck,

Mark F. 87 GN 11.9 @ 115