wastegate solenoid

A filter that disappeared in 1988. don't worry about it.

It doesn't matter which barb the turbo line hooks to either, as long as it is connected to one and the other is open.

You mean the vac port? If so, Nothing, it's suppose to have a little foam rubber filter on it. It's basically a vent.

it doesn't have any filter on it. My car was running like absolute crap, and a buddy of mine that use to have a t type saw that vent, and thought for sure something was missing. We got some vac line, and hooked the port up to another line, and now it's running awesome again...so what's up???

Quantify running like "Crap".

What you did was lower the maximum boost your engine will see.

it was puking out at full throttle...my buddy suggested I get a new solenoid just to be safe, adjustable wastegate and fuel regulator, etc...

"Puking out at full throttle"

that makes sense. Does the car have a new fuel pump? Aftermarket boost gage? are you using some type of scan tool or knock detector? does it "shut off" or start to detonate?

Basically, your car is in a state of tune that when everything is connected correctly, your car cannot support the amount of boost it generates. The solenoid COULD be stuck open. Or it could be:

the orifice in the "Y" is too small (If it was purchased recently)
You need a new fuel pump
not enough octane
too much boost and/or timing in chip
spark plug gap too big.
plus other misc. fuel or ignition related problems.

If you solve your real problem, then disconnect the vacuum hose you connected, the car will run even better than it does with the jury rigged setup you've done.

hmmm...well, for one, I just got a brand new fuel pump installed, so I know it's not that. I'll do some checking on the other things. The car is actually completely stock, so I know there's nothing too flashy under the hood...

thanks for yor help, I'll see what I can find

Do you have a real boost gauge? One that will actually tell you how much boost the car is running?

You have been given the correct advice above. Nothing goes to that other port.

If the solenoid is bad, the car will over boost and start detonating. That puking out could be the first signs of a head gasket disaster.

Does the new fuel pump have a hot wire kit on it to make sure it is getting full voltage?

no hot wire kit that I know of...had someone install it, not me. And, no, I don't have a real boost gauge. I'm gonna replace the solenoid just to be sure.