You can type here any text you want

Watch out for RICE!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I eat Z06

I own a 87 GN, with over $12,000 into it. I also have a 03 Subaru WRX with about $4,000 into it. For those that dont know what a WRX is: turbocharged 2.0 litre Boxer 4, intercooled, 5 speed, AWD, 227hp and 217Tq from the factory. Mine has over 330hp at the flywheel. I was in my GN and my buddy was in my WRX. We went out to see how the WRX ran against the GN. At green he immediatly got a 2 car lead and continued pulling hard, then the Buick made a squealing noise (tires) at about 15mph and I rocketed past him. The Buick didnt have the alcohol Injection on. Now everyone is happy. But... There is the WRX STi (Subaru Technica International) a 300hp 300tq 2.5 litre turbo boxer 4, intercooled w/ intercooler water sprayer, 6 speed manual, 3 differentials w/ driver control (you can adjust where the power goes), no radio, BBS lightweight wheels, and Brembo breaksw/ 12.7 inch front discs. This thing will kill most of us. Yes, I am not lying. This thing will be gone before our tires even think about hooking up. Now the trap speed of our cars will be higher, but if your on the street you dont wanna be passing at 120. Runs a 13.31@101 STOCK, and this is with my buddy driving, not R&T. This thing is the GNX of modern time and costs only $30,000 to kill anything near its performance for 30 grand less.

Nick

My next daily driver will probibly be an WRX or lancer evo.But I will always have my GN.

By the way I might not be very smart but I'm not scarred of either one of them.Of course my car has a few things done to it.

Not saying I'm the fastest car out there but I've got one by at least 1 second.Probibly more since I started running higher boost and mixing 110 leaded with my 94 pump gas.That all should take care of any spin I should get in the first few feet.

But thanks for the warning.Maybe it will keep some unsuspecting people from getting burned.And they are nice and quick cars.

Originally posted by I eat Z06
For those that dont know what a WRX is:
Uh....I think most of us on the board know what a WRX is:p Several guys on here have them, I know a couple people that have one. I like the AWD factor, but not the 4-banger. The engine compartment looks almost as bad as a 4th gen F-body as far as accessability. But either way, ya cant go wrong w/ the turbo.

Sorry, I don't get this. We're being warned about a low 13sec car???

I haven't been scared by a low 13 sec street car for over 35 years. Why should an ugly $30K piece of rice bother me?

Almost anyone with a decent running Z28, vette, Trans Am, 5.0 etc will put it away.

Terry

For a short redlight to redlight encounter I might be scared. I've run my friend's 12.90 AWD Talon on the street and can catch him by 45mph if I don't blow the launch. We used to piss people off on bikes in my friends near stock Typhoon. Most bikes can't launch and we would put multiple carlengths on them and shut it down at 40mph before they came around us with a 30mph speed difference.

On the street you dont usually have a 1/4 mile to run on the road.:mad: So these things do have an advantage for the first 40-60 mph depending on our cars timeslips. My GN rocketed by my WRX but I was aready doin 50mph when passing. If you have room you will win by a looong car length if it is a short distance race start prayin to the traction gods, or hope the guy cant launch AWD (difficult to learn).

Nick

I forgot to add. The aftermarket on these things is huge. By far bigger than GN parts. I wish that the GN aftermarket was that big. They have been produced across seas for over 5 years.

Nick

I guess that's a good point.

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser (non-turbo) also and I love jumping unsuspecting hot car owners (Accura NZX, vettes, etc) from a light. They can't hear me rev it a bit, watch the lights and jump them across the intersection. They could care less about a little PT and usually are asleep. Of course about the other side of the intersection is about when they go roaring past me. But it's fun.

Terry

I think we have enough of an aftermarket, enough to go in the 6's at least. True, I would never think of making a full 1/4 pass on the street but like I said it doesn't take that long to catch and pass one of those cars. Most owners I've seen in person can't or won't launch their AWD car to it's full potential. My friend with an 11 sec WRX has blown first gear 4 times now and that was not dumping the clutch at some outrageous rpm either.

Don't forget there are some of us, like my dad's GN sitting in the garage that is run full time on Hoosiers with a Wolfe Bar, 4,500 stall, and a little power to go with the traction lol. I doubt it's getting beat by an AWD car off the line or anywhere else.

I do like the WRX a lot and my girlfriend wants one which I'm encouraging her to get. She'll just have to put a lock on the hood so I can't get my hands on it. If I had my way the mods would start the day it arrives at home.

On a side note, has anyone ever tried putting a high stall convertor in an auto WRX? Might take some of the fun out but I bet it would be a lot quicker in the 1/4.

Just an FYI, GM is making Subaru share the Imprezza platform, including the WRX with Saab. It will be re-skinned and called the 9-2 next year. Help me help saab and buy one of them instead:D

So wait.. let's clear some things up.

1) you own a GN with 'over $12k into it'. 12k in mods? or total? Whichever it may be, if you really have this car, how in the world are you dumbfounded by BBS wheels, radio delete, and adjusting power to front or rear differentials?

2) if your wrx has 330hp, why are you putting the (slightly faster) sti on a pedestal when it has less hp and in reality is only marginally faster than a wrx?

3) Since you do own a GN, you must know how far the aftermarket can take a buick in performance.. Where is the devestatingly big aftermarket for subaru's and why aren't we hearing about 11sec and faster buzz bombs running all over the place?

4) They (do you mean wrx's or parts?) have been produced overseas for over 5 years?! :eek: Geez, well I can't wait to find out what mods are around when buicks have been around for 5 whole years, it's gonna be sick! :rolleyes:

5) I ran a modded wrx in my then-stock camaro and put about 5 cars on him by 120.. not too impressive.

6) STi's are the GNX of modern times? no really.. are you serious? GNXs just about ran the times that the STi does now 16 years ago, with 2wd.

As far as being impressed with a 13.3 et, where's a good yawn when you need one?

<$30,000 cars that will crush the STi

- ls1 f body (mine went 13.1@109 stock)
- terminator cobras

with very light mods:
- lightnings
- of course, buicks:cool:

I don't mean to start an argument, but when you claim to be 18 and have the 3 cars in your sig, make rediculous statements that i pointed out above, and don't seem to know the first thing about cars in any case.. it's hard not to raise a brow.

Originally posted by Romulus

1) you own a GN with 'over $12k into it'. 12k in mods? or total? Whichever it may be, if you really have this car, how in the world are you dumbfounded by BBS wheels, radio delete, and adjusting power to front or rear differentials?

2) if your wrx has 330hp, why are you putting the (slightly faster) sti on a pedestal when it has less hp and in reality is only marginally faster than a wrx?

3) Since you do own a GN, you must know how far the aftermarket can take a buick in performance.. Where is the devestatingly big aftermarket for subaru's and why aren't we hearing about 11sec and faster buzz bombs running all over the place?

4) They (do you mean wrx's or parts?) have been produced overseas for over 5 years?! :eek: Geez, well I can't wait to find out what mods are around when buicks have been around for 5 whole years, it's gonna be sick! :rolleyes:

5) I ran a modded wrx in my then-stock camaro and put about 5 cars on him by 120.. not too impressive.

6) STi's are the GNX of modern times? no really.. are you serious? GNXs just about ran the times that the STi does now 16 years ago, with 2wd.

As far as being impressed with a 13.3 et, where's a good yawn when you need one?

<$30,000 cars that will crush the STi

- ls1 f body (mine went 13.1@109 stock)
- terminator cobras

with very light mods:
- lightnings
- of course, buicks:cool:

I don't mean to start an argument, but when you claim to be 18 and have the 3 cars in your sig, make rediculous statements that i pointed out above, and don't seem to know the first thing about cars in any case.. it's hard not to raise a brow.

Sheesh, settle down just a little bit. Can not a guy get excited about a car? The WRX is not the fastest thing around, but it is still pretty darn quick for what it is.

Beware the 240sx with the SR20DET swaps. He he. We beat up a "stock" Z06 with our shop 240sx. The look on that guys face was unbelievable.

Originally posted by Taffy

Beware the 240sx with the SR20DET swaps. He he. We beat up a "stock" Z06 with our shop 240sx. The look on that guys face was unbelievable.

I've seen videos of 240s w/ that motor racing... very quick indeed:D

Yes I have 30hp on a STi, but less torque. Mine is moddified, against a stock STi. The drivetrain on a STi is the impressive thing. Getting the power to the ground and able to roast 4 racing tires from stock is impressive. And everyone here should know that with under $1,500 you can get some nice power gains from a turbo. Everything that I have said about the STi is stock. Also some like me live in areas where the Buick only driven 3 months of the year.:mad: Where the subaru is fun in the snow. I am not shure how well the STi would be, but with the ability to lock the diffs it should be good in snow. I am not saying that this is a better car than the GN, I was just mearly stating to watch out because not all GN's run 11 and 12 second 1/4 miles.

Not to be and ass but I own my GN and my WRX, have the ability to go home and have my parents let me drive their Hummer, I also own a 84 cutty that quit runnin 4 years ago. Who cares about what I can drive and I am not 18. Sorry to all who that did not apply to.

Nick

seen of those 300 hp Subes this weekend. The window sticker was $34k and change and th edealer was adding $7500 on that price. WHAT A JOKE!!

I own a 87 GN, with over $12,000 into it. I also have a 03 Subaru WRX with about $4,000 into it. For those that dont know what a WRX is: turbocharged 2.0 litre Boxer 4, intercooled, 5 speed, AWD, 227hp and 217Tq from the factory. Mine has over 330hp at the flywheel. I was in my GN and my buddy was in my WRX. We went out to see how the WRX ran against the GN. At green he immediatly got a 2 car lead and continued pulling hard, then the Buick made a squealing noise (tires) at about 15mph and I rocketed past him. The Buick didnt have the alcohol Injection on. Now everyone is happy. But... There is the WRX STi (Subaru Technica International) a 300hp 300tq 2.5 litre turbo boxer 4, intercooled w/ intercooler water sprayer, 6 speed manual, 3 differentials w/ driver control (you can adjust where the power goes), no radio, BBS lightweight wheels, and Brembo breaksw/ 12.7 inch front discs. This thing will kill most of us. Yes, I am not lying. This thing will be gone before our tires even think about hooking up. Now the trap speed of our cars will be higher, but if your on the street you dont wanna be passing at 120. Runs a 13.31@101 STOCK, and this is with my buddy driving, not R&T. This thing is the GNX of modern time and costs only $30,000 to kill anything near its performance for 30 grand less.

Nick

umm let me see. $12k into the GN INCLUDING the car. vs $4k into a $27k car .. That equals $12k vs $31k. Don't it??
Ill tell ya what. Sell the Gn to someone who can appriciate it and use th e$$ to dump another $12k into the WRX and get that puppy into the 11's.

I own a 87 GN, with over $12,000 into it. I also have a 03 Subaru WRX with about $4,000 into it. .

Nick

Originally posted by Romulus

I played with an STI a few weeks ago. I really WASN'T impressed what so ever. I was only running 15#'s and just about completely walked away from him. They are nothing like the GNX's at all. Romulus, I completely agree with you. I'm not the least bit scared of a WRX and think they are highly overrated. I'd rather have a supra personally

Hell no! I love my Gn. I would never sell a car like the GN with its potential to outrun just about anything. I would rather sell the WRX and have more moula for the Buick. But, the WRX is my daily driver. Besides it isnt rational to drive a car that gets ****ty gas mileage and has to run on 93 or higher octane vs. good gas mileage and quicker than alot of things out there. Besides rice is cheaper than gas. <- not really. I also have to deal with Michigan winters and the Buick sees the inside of a garage from October to May. Those prices were way off also. The GN was $11,000 in 2000, and the WRX out the door was $23,000. Some more referring to racing against these things. There are ALOT of WRX's out there and proably less than half of the owners can use them to the fullest potential. AWD stick's are alot harder to launch than RWD auto's. Everyone should know that winning a race is mostly the driver, not so much the car (generally).

Nick

P.S. anyone ever line up with/seen a Skyline?

Back