Water/Air ic construction theory

Superskwrl

I have been toying with the Idea of a small JY water/air ic. And it's just gonna be a small experiment on my car. I have not decided what JY cores to use, it's most likely a SVO or DSM core (svo looks easier to work with)

(Design 1) I have read several place that with a Water/Air the air goes across what is normally the outside of the intercooler and the water goes where the air normally is.

(Desgin 2) Yet i have seen several examples of what appears to be Air/Air ic's with boxes built around them that the water is in, which is what this post is about.

I have seen the vortech powercoolers and they are fairly small, even the mondo cooler is not that big and alledgedly supports 1400hp?

I would think the the overall flow would be higher using water through the core,(design 1) however is it possible for it to be free flowing, and the air charge not being cooled enough?

(Desgin 2)The other thought is if i used 2 JY cores (Dsm's are 4" thick SVO's 3" thick) sandwhiched togeth doubling the thickness i could make new end tanks with larger inlet/outlet's and a better tank design because imo (most if the stock ic's tank designs leave something to be desired) and the overall flow would be acceptable 900cfm?

Another question is, although i dont think it will have room using Design 1 making a reservoir with access on the ic itself to loading with ice and have another remote tank and small pump for more more+ice

Any thoughts are appreciated

Where do you plan on mounting the IC,. stock location, front mount or in the car somewhere?
In order to get the most cooling affect the boosted air needs to flow thru tubes surounded by circulated water. Having the remote tank to house the ice also gives you the ability to use more ice/water to pump through the cooler.
Making a simple liquid cooler would not be that difficult or that expensive but would require somebody to know how to weld aluminum.
I thought about enclosing just the fins on a stock IC then pumping ice water into it. This alone would prolly have huge gains.
Mustangs mount the coolers in the back seat with the ice tank in the trunk..

ks:confused:

As you may have guessed i have a turbo'd mustang, and there is room for it under the hood, i proably should have mentioed it being a mustang since the reference to the vortech aftercoolers is a mustang oriented thing and TB may not know what i'm talkin about. There are some pictures on there site, the igloo aka mondo is @ the bottom, it basically has 3 cores from the smaller power coolers

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/products/coolers/

Any 1 else have any thoughts???

Originally posted by bishir
Ever thought about putting some dry ice in there?
Yes + No, i haven't got that far lol, still working on the engineering aspect, dry ice supposedly does work using alchohol as the liquid medium, but isn't as cheap/easy as ice+water

The dry ice method will work great with alcohol. It will freeze water. If you use dry ice, be sure to have a vent in your resevoir. Dry ice can't be capped up conmpletely. It will pressurize and create a vent for itself. :eek:

Water IC

I was also thinking of building my own water IC. But for a buick. Do they use the same core for air to air as for water to air? I have an extra air to air that im not using and could customize it to water to air if its the same core. Anybody ever built there own water IC? I would need it to flow & cool enough air to support 1500 HP.

I was thinking the same thing however I was gonna use both in tandem. There isn't a whole lotta room for a front mount on a TTA. So my idea was to use an aftercooler type setup mounted in between the orig. IC and the uppipe. I'm not sure if the pressure drop going through two mediums would be significant or not.

Mostly for track purposes. When not in use and no coolant flowing through the core of the aftercooler would it hinder performance since it is another restriction the compressed air must pass through.

Gotta try to find one on ebay and work up a system. Using both may significantly reduce the air inlet temps letting the end user run more boost/timing without a secondary system to curb detonation(I.E. propane or alky)

Just a thought

What about this?

Don't even have to worry about ice.:D

An intercooler (stock location) acts more like a heatsink than a radiator by absorbing heat when under boost and storing it untill partial throttle when it can dissipate it.

As far as using an air/air core, it will not be the most efficient for an air/water setup but will be substantially more efficient than it was when being used air/air. An ideal air/water core would flow much less on the water side and more on the air side for max effiency.