Water Cooled Turbos

Jeff Rand

What would you guys recommend for the cooling lines - braided or just coolant hose? Any suggestions on how to run the coolant lines (what existing lines would I tap into)?
Thanks,
Jeff

Not sure what the flow requirements are but perhaps the throttle body coolant lines with braided hose.

If too small perhaps a larger hole modified setup using the same metal lines with larger welded fittings in it.

I was wondering this myself. I was told the turbo I am buying can be either oil or water cooled. Is one or the other better? I was just planning on getting a new stainless braided oil line for mine.

The intercooled Buicks dont really benefit from a water cooled turbo as the turbo is positioned in such a way that there is air flow to it. The Hot Air cars would probably benefit most from a water cooled turbo since their turbos do not have a good source of air flow.
Ford originally didnt use water cooled turbos on the 84-85 2.3 turbos. The later models did since the turbos were mounted in a position of low air flow.
They used silicone coolant hose for the water connections at the turbo. Dont use anything else there!

Jeff if you decide to use rubber hose instead of braided, the Gates green stripe heater hose is super heavy duty. You'll probably have to go to Napa to get it .

Steve, I will use the rubber hose. McMaster& Carr might have the silicon hose, if not I will check with Napa. I have been told that the coolant will extend the life of the ball bearings.
Jeff

Originally posted by steve hughes
Silicone would be better but i don't think it's neccesary. It ain't cheap either. Good luck.

Steve, at McMaster & Carr they have 3/8 id silicone hose for $1.97/foot. Comes in red,blue, black and clear. Max. temp. rating is 400F.
Jeff