water pump or chain tensioner?

blackbuick87

Just got done putting in my fan switch and Tcc lockup switch tonight, went for a ride, and now my car sounds like a hooptie:mad:

It is rattling from the front of the motor, I am pretty sure its the water pump but I want to make sure its not the chain tensioner everyone talks about. I dont see any water leaking anywhere, and if I try to wiggle the pully it will move a tiny bit back and forth.

What are the symptoms of a bad tensioner?

Hey mine rattles to does it happen at idle or in gear, mine does it in both and it makes me mad to, wish i knew what it was

It does it all the time and just started tonight. I dont even want to drive it like this. Is a water pump a PITA on this car? I was hoping to go to the track next weekend and this is pissing me off

i've had one car that came for work that the crank senser had come loose in the bracket and was ratling

the tensioner on the timing chain will be more of a noise that you hear best around 2000 rpm

take the belt off and start it up to check for any accesery being the noise

I also had a huge rattle in my car at idle with the trans on drive. If I put it on neutral it almost went away and when getting the car on the move there was no rattle at all. I also thought it was the timing chain tensioner, but when i changed my cracked header the sound went away completely. Turned out it was one of the brackets keeping the a/c compressor and alternator in place. Even though mine made the sound at idle, you might want to check that the brackets are fastened tight.

Well I ordered a new water pump ($20 after core:D) and was planning on running it for a few seconds with the belt off to see if it still rattled. Any tips on making the water pump swap go easier?

Remove the belt first. Start car and see if sound goes away. If so check the idler pulley. Very rare to have a water pump make noise with out leaking.

Check all the bolts for the accessories..especially the AC...the bolts that hold them to the bracket can come loose and rattle...

You guys were right, it was the intercooler bracket. The drivers side bolt worked its way out. I borrowed one from the other side and the sound is gone completely. Thanks

BTW now I need a bolt. It has a 13mm head. Can anyone tell me what the thread size is?

noise rattle

My 87 limited is doing the same thing. I also thought that it was my water pump, (bearings) so i changed it even though it was never leaking, and later found out that it was not the water pump. i still dont know what it is, but a friend of mine told me that it might be the cam sensor. My car makes that rattle noise all the time( idle and in gear). i also need help!!!!!!

Or it could be the timing chain tensioner, or one of the accessories. Take the belt off and start it (only run it for a few seconds) and see if it still rattles. If it does you can rule out all the accesories