You can type here any text you want

Water pump question?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

77tech9

Extreme Huffer
I think that my water pump is the problem for my heater not working correctly in my car, I just put a new thermostat and ramchargers fans, new fluid, and a new control valve and its still freezing cold inside.

So i started to investigate and it seems theres no flow coming from the water pump to the heater core. But the weird thing was its not a clog or anything cause i blew into one end of the hose and it went through the water pump and out the other side of the heater core. So do you think its the water pump? I just want to be sure before I go through that trouble.

Thanks in Advance!

No fow

77tech9 said:
I think that my water pump is the problem for my heater not working correctly in my car, I just put a new thermostat and ramchargers fans, new fluid, and a new control valve and its still freezing cold inside.

So i started to investigate and it seems theres no flow coming from the water pump to the heater core. But the weird thing was its not a clog or anything cause i blew into one end of the hose and it went through the water pump and out the other side of the heater core. So do you think its the water pump? I just want to be sure before I go through that trouble.

Thanks in Advance!
Look in the radiator neck for flow with the engine running. If you pull off one of the heater hoses and start the car, you should have flow out the hose (make sure the coolant level is full). If no flow, then the impeller fins on the WP could be corroded to nothing, hence no flow and no heat. The Ramchargers fans could be cooling like a Mother, keeping the car from overheating, but no coolant flow thru the heater core=no heat. Good luck.

Yep, no flow is what I experienced today. The flush this summer didnt help the corrosion problem I dont think, but it should be extra cool with a new water pump. It was like 180 - 200 max with these fans :eek:

If the water pump is not pumping coolant, the engine will overheat, very quickly. It does not matter how much air the fans blow over the radiator, if the coolant can't take the heat to the radiator, the engine will overheat, and it will happen quickly.
When you drain/refill the cooling system, sometimes you get air trapped in the heater core. The GM shop manua says you should remove the hose from the heater outlet, then run the engine until you get a solid stream of coolant- no air- then replace the hose.

Ormand said:
If the water pump is not pumping coolant, the engine will overheat, very quickly. It does not matter how much air the fans blow over the radiator, if the coolant can't take the heat to the radiator, the engine will overheat, and it will happen quickly.
When you drain/refill the cooling system, sometimes you get air trapped in the heater core. The GM shop manua says you should remove the hose from the heater outlet, then run the engine until you get a solid stream of coolant- no air- then replace the hose.

I agree 100%. Usually I chase the air out by turning the heat on high and starting the car with the reservoir cap off and bringing the rpms up to about 2,000 rpms and watch the bubbles.

If i rev the engine with the heater hose off it water will come out, but never at idle, so its probially just the water pump is losing fins. ENough to pump water into the engine while driving, but not enough for heater.

Changed the water pump with limited help. Water pump seemed OK but i put a new one in just to be safe. New thermostat from Kirban, new heater control valve.

Air inside is kinda warm, but dont seem warm enough. Heater lines are warm and I tryed letting the air out of the system a few times with same results. Maybe the 160 just dont get hot enough for "hot" air inside? Most TR owners dont live in colorado where it gets cold out maybe. Another strange issue, at idle when i take off heater hoses only a little or no water flows, but when i rev engine a pretty healthy stream of water is flowing.

I dont think its the heater controls because they seem to be working ok. Cold will close the heater door, and warm will bring out "some" heat.

Make sure the heater "flapper" door is moving all the way like it should and not binding up on anything.

Silver 'T' Top said:
Make sure the heater "flapper" door is moving all the way like it should and not binding up on anything.

I actually just checked that, seems to be moving good, cant find any leaks inside anywhere either. If the car is driven and turned off for 15 minutes and drove again the heater is warm for a few minutes then gets back to "not so warm". I just cant figure it out

I know you said that you put a new heater valve on the car but, did you check the vacuum source to it?

Start the car and operate the heater valve with a vacuum pump then check it to see how warm it is.

Just my experience last year.

Back