You can type here any text you want

weird knock/rattleing noise

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jepenzes

1986 buick grand national, when accelerating with the pedal to the floor and when the turbo boost is at its peak the car begins to make a weird knock/rattleing noise does anyone know what could be causing this?

1986 buick grand national, when accelerating with the pedal to the floor and when the turbo boost is at its peak the car begins to make a weird knock/rattleing noise does anyone know what could be causing this?

Need more info...what octane fuel are you running, how high are you running the boost, what spark plugs and what are they gapped at, what thermostat are you running, when did you last change your fuel filter, are you still running the stock fuel pump and is it hotwired, etc...tell us everything you can about your car. In fact, it will be to your benefit (and everybody else's) if you fill out your signature so you don't have to type all that stuff every time you have a question (click "User CP" towards the top of the page and on the menu on the left side of the screen there will be a link to edit your signature.) Once you provide more info we'll be glad to help.

Need more info...what octane fuel are you running, how high are you running the boost, what spark plugs and what are they gapped at, what thermostat are you running, when did you last change your fuel filter, are you still running the stock fuel pump and is it hotwired, etc...tell us everything you can about your car. In fact, it will be to your benefit (and everybody else's) if you fill out your signature so you don't have to type all that stuff every time you have a question (click "User CP" towards the top of the page and on the menu on the left side of the screen there will be a link to edit your signature.) Once you provide more info we'll be glad to help.

I should go ahead and just say that you should run the highest octane possible (I use Sunoco 94 octane in my GN exclusively) and the highest you can run the boost with that octane is about 17 psi (mine's at 16), run a 160 degree thermostat instead of the stock one (I don't even remember what temperature the stock one opened at) to keep the engine running cooler and make sure you keep up on all the other stuff I mentioned. All this is very important for a gasoline engine under boost to avoid detonation, which may be what's causing your knock. Also, you need to invest in a Scanmaster so you can monitor knock retard and a variety of other things that are going on with your engine. I'm waiting for my neighbor across the street to blow a head gasket on his '86 T Type because he won't heed any of this advice (he's even running 87 octane!!!:eek: )

That noise is the enemy to a turbocharged motor, it's called pre-ignition or detonation, you need to get a real boost gage and turn the turbo boost back or you will hurt the motor. Detonation and Pre-Ignition

Chuck

I should go ahead and just say that you should run the highest octane possible (I use Sunoco 94 octane in my GN exclusively) and the highest you can run the boost with that octane is about 17 psi (mine's at 16), run a 160 degree thermostat instead of the stock one (I don't even remember what temperature the stock one opened at) to keep the engine running cooler and make sure you keep up on all the other stuff I mentioned. All this is very important for a gasoline engine under boost to avoid detonation, which may be what's causing your knock. Also, you need to invest in a Scanmaster so you can monitor knock retard and a variety of other things that are going on with your engine. I'm waiting for my neighbor across the street to blow a head gasket on his '86 T Type because he won't heed any of this advice (he's even running 87 octane!!!:eek: )

I agree with the sunoco 94 , we only have the 93 ultra out here , and am able to run 19 to 20 lbs of boost with no problems on my tune , any other gas i cant run it that high

Back