You can type here any text you want

Weird Noise, Help Please.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Infamous'86GN

I design stuff...
Hey guys,

My car is making a high pitch squealing noise from the driver side engine compartment. I can't figure out what it is.
It started one day when i passed someone, i barely got on it, and i started to hear a squealing noise.

Here is a video, the weird pulsing noise or wub wub wub is being caused by the camera. So ignore that, the squeal is pretty evident.
[video=youtube;F-ZELNLrxXE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ZELNLrxXE[/video]

Please help!

I think last time we checked it, it was having a weird spike in volts. But that was a while back. I will check when i get home from work tonight.

Do you have a long screw driver that you can hold the handle to your ear & place the tip on the alternator without getting your face/hair in there? Use this to listen to the alternator bearings, etc, until you pin point the source of the noise.

~JM~

Do you have a long screw driver that you can hold the handle to your ear & place the tip on the alternator without getting your face/hair in there? Use this to listen to the alternator bearings, etc, until you pin point the source of the noise.

~JM~

Yep, a piece of plastic tubing works well too. One end to your ear while searching around the engine with the other end will find it.

Thanks for all the info guys, I haven't really worked on an alternator much before, but I'm going to go try the stuff you guys suggested.

hey guys, after looking around a bit and having a friend look at it, i found out that it was the Throttle Body to Plenum. One of the nuts was a little loose.

hey guys, after looking around a bit and having a friend look at it, i found out that it was the Throttle Body to Plenum. One of the nuts was a little loose.

That's what I originally thought...a vacuum leak.
The problem was it was so weird sounding that I discounted it.
Live and learn.
The noise is gone now?

yeah, the camera made it sound different also. But yes as of last night the sound is gone. I'm going to driver her to work this morning and see how everything goes.

Back