...weld in roll cage...

The Ups: safety, chassis rigidity, solid place to mount safety harness....oh, did I mention safety !!!
The Downs: more work to get in front seats, back seats pain to get in/out, you bump your noggin when you launch hard without a helmet.

Only weld in roll bars and roll cages are legal in GN's at NHRA tracks if you plan to race and run faster than 11.50 for the bar, and 8.50 for cage.

All the bars must also be welded, not bolted, except for the side bars. They can be removable, and swing-out if desired, using the proper hardware.

Not sure, but are many of the weld in kits too short on the main hoop? If I remember corectly, some of the "kits" are designed for weld in or bolt in, but only to the body, not through the body to the frame. If you are buying a kit, you may check that detail first so it is legal and more importantly safe!

what i was meaning was weld in cage i was more meaning just a kit
i been looking into cages something that goes to the frame. and i didnt know if i could or couldnt use the swing for the sidebar if its going to be legal or not. im going for 10's highs or lows

As long as the swing connectors are legal, the swing out is good for about 2 sec's quiker than U R planning to go.

Do yourself a cheap favor.... Buy an NHRA rulebook.

Cage or roll bar??? big difference.

I've heard swing outs are no longer legal...

Please let me know your VALID source? Not legal where?:mad:

We are doing a bar tight now with a swing out bar, and have many local cars with certified NHRA cages and roll bars using a swing-out and removable side bars.

Statements like this have no place here unless it is verifiable.

We already have enough useless crap and mis-information posted from gossip or rumors, we do not need more.

and where does one buy one at? and i mean a cage i should be fine with a 8 point i think

and where does one buy one at? and i mean a cage i should be fine with a 8 point i think

You can purchase a rule book from NHRA on-line.

A roll bar for a full-bodied car running 10.0 sec. and slower is required to have a 5 point mounting.

A ROLL CAGE for a full-bodied car running 8.50 sec. and slower must have a 6 point mounting, an upper windshield bar, and a bars from the top windshield back to the main hoop as well as other items.

Also, requirements for mounting and securing swing-out side bars are detailed in the rule book.

It is not smart to plan or build a roll bar, or cage, without first being intimately familiar with the details set forth in the rule book. :eek:

Hello,
Some of the kits are designed for weld in or bolt in but only to the body and not through the body to the frame. If you are buying a kitthen must check the details as it is legal and more importantly safe..

S&W racecars sells bar,cage kits that fit!..legal doorbar swingout kits... everything!..yes the main hoop is long enough to weld to frame..they have the "nice" rear streetbars off the main hoop that fit the roof& rear packagetray great!..I would go with the 1 5/8 moly...you will save ALOT of weight!...it takes time to do right....in my Ttop87gn you could barley see the bar from outside the car...:cool:

S&W racecars sells bar,cage kits that fit!..legal doorbar swingout kits... everything!..yes the main hoop is long enough to weld to frame..they have the "nice" rear streetbars off the main hoop that fit the roof& rear packagetray great!..I would go with the 1 5/8 moly...you will save ALOT of weight!...it takes time to do right....in my Ttop87gn you could barley see the bar from outside the car...:cool:

Got any pics of yours installed or being installed?

Please let me know your VALID source? Not legal where?:mad:

We are doing a bar tight now with a swing out bar, and have many local cars with certified NHRA cages and roll bars using a swing-out and removable side bars.

Statements like this have no place here unless it is verifiable.

We already have enough useless crap and mis-information posted from gossip or rumors, we do not need more.

I was told that they might not be legal for much longer by the shop doing my 6point cromoly cage and i didn't want to pay extra for the swingouts and then pay again to have them removed if it comes to that...i should have just posted i heard they they MAY be going away and i dont have the kinda money to do a cage 2 times... my opinion only...all apologies to any i may has mislead...go swingouts,at your own risk...

why are you looking for a camaro bar?

fyi the camaro isnt a full frame car like the GN , the roll bar for them doesn't need to be welded at the floor points (it will require welding to floor plates then it can be bolted in or if you want it can be welded in and it will be legal as long as you follow the NHRA rules on roll bar construction specific to to your chassis type . i suggest as has been posted already that you get an NHRA rule book and read it , ive seen many cages done by shops that claim they know how to do a bar and some even try to follow the nhra book yet they still wouldnt pass a tech inspect even though most tracks arent that picky , for most tracks they see a bar and as long as your belts are in good date and the attachments are ok they usually let you race .
cages on the other hand because they are usually in a car that traps over 135mph are scrutinized to ensure they meet the rules and require inspection and certification certification sticker by an NHRA rep (not your local track tech) and then a recert every three years . you need to setup an appointment (and pay the fee) for the inspections