Well Zam I guess I am on my way

Zam,

I received the 12" RE SE yesterday and man what a nice piece. I just had to look at it for a while! I liked it so much...... do you think it is overkill to have two of these wonderfull pieces? I decided to just buy a new set of CDT-52Z's since I don't want to fool with trying to get used stuff from sellers. $385.00 shipped. I think 2-12's would really pound my car!

You can run 2 but you will have ALOT of bass. Don't forget, you'll need more power for 2 - 500 watts each.
Told you they were nice - wait until you hear it.

Like I said - biggest bang for the buck by far.

Well I am getting the other half of the equation together now. I picked up a set of Silk CDT 3/4" tweeters (their best 3/4's) for $35.00 shipped and a set of 5 1/4" CDT mids for $115.00. All new! I still need to buy the crossovers and maybe another set of tweeters for $200.00. Got a couple of questions:

I hope these 5 1/4's can fit with the amount of depth in the CSII pods. Do you think they will?

Like I said earlier I bought a set of 3/4" tweets but the CDT site said they are better mounted near the mids. Where could I put them?

I think I still need something for the dash. Should I get the 1" or 1.1" CDT Silks for up there or something different?

What do you think about the level control for the tweets?

http://www.cdtaudio.com/SilkSoftDomeTweet.htm

Trying to duplicate the 52Z on the cheap!

http://www.cdtaudio.com/hd42_cdt4.htm

In my Regal, I have the 6.5 in the door, the tweeter in the dash.
Not the best way but, it was easy and sounds decent.
The best way is to mount the tweeter as close to the mid as possible (coax is actually best, not many HQ coax around though - I do think the CDT has the ability to be mounted coax...)
If you're going to put a tweeter in the dash, don't bother with one down by the mid.

The tweeter level thing shouldn't be needed if yu run only one tweeter. If you do run 2, you'll need it.

I'd put in the single set and see how you like it, then go from there.

As far as fitting, you won't know until you try. There are a few things you can do if they don't just drop in:
cut out the rear of the plastic mounting bucket and maybe space it out a bit. You really won't know until you try.

I received the 3/4" CDT tweets yesterday and they look high quality! I plan on taking the 3/4" MB Quart units in my truck out and replace them with these silk pieces to see how much of a difference they make in sound quality. Hopefully it will be a nice boost and will make it well worth it getting the CDT component set for the car. I have a set of 5 1/4 CDT mids I won one E-Bay coming to me. Just have to get the x-overs and finalize on 1" or 1.1" tweets for the car.

Do you have CSII? Just wondering how you fit 6.5's in the pods? That would be better for me if I could do it.

My doors are highly modified to fit the 6.5, no CSII anymore..I even had to move the power window motor....

When you put the CDT in place of the quarts, give it a couple of days. Quarts are very aggressive, the CDT will probably sound dull initially but, after a bit, you'll like them better than the quarts.

I decided to try the CDT 3/4" tweets in my truck today. I noticed earlier that is sounded like my passenger side 3/4" MB Quart tweet was cutting out. I pulled it out and the wire had come off. I hooked both up side by side and the CDT sounded better by far so I modified the pods to accept them. Then I drove for a little bit to see how much better they sounded...... over and hour later and I was still driving to no place in particular listening to music :D These silk 3/4's rock! They destroy my MB Quart tweets! I can play the power level higher and they are just begging for more power. They sound crystal clear and it really boosted my system to the point I don't think I need anything else! Usually I play with the volume up for a long time and the amp barely gets warm. Tonight when I stopped it was pretty hot to the touch! My lights also twinged a little tonight while cranking. Best added sound piece I have ever done. If the 1" set I am going to put in the car is even better plus the 5 1/4" that everyone raves about this thing is going to sound awesome with the RE-12. I can't believe what a set of tweets did for the truck! Now I can't wait for the ride to work! :)

Originally posted by CallMeMud
I decided to try the CDT 3/4" tweets in my truck today. I noticed earlier that is sounded like my passenger side 3/4" MB Quart tweet was cutting out. I pulled it out and the wire had come off. I hooked both up side by side and the CDT sounded better by far so I modified the pods to accept them. Then I drove for a little bit to see how much better they sounded...... over and hour later and I was still driving to no place in particular listening to music :D These silk 3/4's rock! They destroy my MB Quart tweets! I can play the power level higher and they are just begging for more power. They sound crystal clear and it really boosted my system to the point I don't think I need anything else! Usually I play with the volume up for a long time and the amp barely gets warm. Tonight when I stopped it was pretty hot to the touch! My lights also twinged a little tonight while cranking. Best added sound piece I have ever done. If the 1" set I am going to put in the car is even better plus the 5 1/4" that everyone raves about this thing is going to sound awesome with the RE-12. I can't believe what a set of tweets did for the truck! Now I can't wait for the ride to work! :)
Would that be the TW20 tweeters(3/4)
Also what 5 1/4 are you talking about that are great

Another 6.5" component set to try would be the new Resonant Engineering RE series. They utilize adire audio's XBL^2 motor design, which i think is also used in the SE12 sub mentioned here. The motor design allows these 6.5s to have close to 7mm of one way excursion with almost no increase in distortion even at close to full xmax. They sound ultra clean.

These speakers sell for 175 shipped, and i just installed them in my 70 GS350 and they sound awesome. I havent done much high end car audio in the past, but im working to get good sound on a budget.

These tweeters are pretty loud at first but after listening to them for a day or two they mesh perfectly with the mids. I need to change my kick panel setup or something, since its kind of lacking in <200HZ frequencies.

Anyway, only a few people are using them so far, but ive read two peoples reviews, one who swapped his MB quarts out, and the other swapped out his CDTs for them. Both were impressed and liked the RE's better, and for the price they are certainly an excellent deal.

They are also coming out with the RE XXX 6.5 components for around 400, which should really be nice.

I haven't done anything with it because the E-Bay auction I won on the CDT 5.25's went belly-up just like the guy selling the Diamonds. I had to leave my first negative on E-Bay because after I paid the guy for the 5.25's I had to contact him asking where they were. He said he couldn't find them or his brother took them to College with him :rolleyes: All I have is the RE-12. Still undecided if I want to get another or if that is overkill. Looks like I will just have to order a brand new CDT component set. Wonder if the RE components sound similar. Totally happy with the TW-20 silk tweets I replaced the MB Quart in the truck with. I think the CDT line must be the best bang for the buck.

Personally i think the RE components are a better bang for the buck than the CDTs, but the CDTs are good too. The motor design in the RE's give them a theoretical advantage over just about every other speaker out there, although the RE series comps can be beat by s number of more costly setups. I think the XXX components will blow almost every speaker on the market out of the water. I love XBL2!

I think your single SE 12 is enough sub with at least 500 watts RMS going into it. I think that would get loud enough personaly, but if your into impressing people before they see you coming down the road then two might be in order, or one XXX or Adire Brahma 15 with 1500 watts RMS or more. I just like a well rounded system with great SQ that gets loud enough to feel the music, anything past that just hurts the ears or is for other people to hear, and i dont care much for that.

Originally posted by GS70350
Personally i think the RE components are a better bang for the buck than the CDTs, but the CDTs are good too. The motor design in the RE's give them a theoretical advantage over just about every other speaker out there, although the RE series comps can be beat by s number of more costly setups. I think the XXX components will blow almost every speaker on the market out of the water. I love XBL2!

I think your single SE 12 is enough sub with at least 500 watts RMS going into it. I think that would get loud enough personaly, but if your into impressing people before they see you coming down the road then two might be in order, or one XXX or Adire Brahma 15 with 1500 watts RMS or more. I just like a well rounded system with great SQ that gets loud enough to feel the music, anything past that just hurts the ears or is for other people to hear, and i dont care much for that.
I tend to agree with you. I did sit in a car that had two 12's and amps to go with it and didn't like the feel as much as my truck with the single 10" in it. I have great quality and it will still hit mid 120's which is still too much to be listening too for a long period. It is cool hearing a ground pounder but mine sounds awesome on the inside! I think I will stick with the RE-12 and just power it right. Have you listened to the 5.25" CDT's next to the RE 5.25" to see what sounded best? We don't have a location nearby to hear any of this higher end stuff like CDT, Dynaudio, Rainbow, etc.... So I just have to rely on what I read. The CDT stuff kills MB Quart though!

Originally posted by CallMeMud
I tend to agree with you. I did sit in a car that had two 12's and amps to go with it and didn't like the feel as much as my truck with the single 10" in it. I have great quality and it will still hit mid 120's which is still too much to be listening too for a long period. It is cool hearing a ground pounder but mine sounds awesome on the inside! I think I will stick with the RE-12 and just power it right. Have you listened to the 5.25" CDT's next to the RE 5.25" to see what sounded best? We don't have a location nearby to hear any of this higher end stuff like CDT, Dynaudio, Rainbow, etc.... So I just have to rely on what I read. The CDT stuff kills MB Quart though!

Ive heard one set of CDT's but they were 6.5s and im not sure which model they were. CDT has several different "levels" of component setups available if i recall. I think the guy paid about 250 for his set though a year ago. He had about 60 watts RMS per channel and they sounded very nice. My area lacks high end audio dealers as well so i have the same problem getting first hand experience before i buy.

The RE comps are only available in 6.5", so if your not up for a couple hours of work to get them to fit and look good, i guess your only option is CDTs. I can say that my RE 6.5s sound noticeably better than the 6.5 CDT's that i heard, whatever model they were, and for 75 dollars less. They sound cleaner, and although i havent subjected them to much more than 50 watts RMS so far(RE says they can handle well over RMS rating) they still amaze me. I havent heard any music this clear before. It sounds transparent as if the speakers arent even there. Of course i cant compare them to much else so get other opinions if you want.

Check www.acoustic-visions.com for some information on resonant engineering and adire audio. The people at resonant engineering will respond to your posts at that site, so you can ask recomendations on box designs and whatever else you might want to know. They have already done alot of research and know what to do to really take advantage of the speakers capabilities.