wet sanding

GNJOE

I am wet sanding my gn's paint and was wondering what is the best process and products to use. I already used 2000 grit sand paper and would like to know what works best to get the mirror finish after that. The paint is about 2 years old and is clear coat. I also need to know which buffer pads to use for each step. I am doing this to remove orange peel.

87 gn t-tops
28,000 miles
All stock except for paint that was starting to check. This one even has the original exhaust.:confused:

Use Meguires # 7 show car glaze and get the grey polishing pad that looks like egg crate pattern on it. Thats what the guy that painted my GN used. Be sure to keep that pad clean. Store it in a zip lok bag. Use a variable speed polisher and go light with it. GOOD LUCK :) Tarey D.

Now that is not a very nice comment to make. Of course I know what I am doing.:confused: Actually I talked to the person who painted the car and it has 3 coats of Dupont 7500 on it. He saw no problem with wet sanding it. It is alot of work but it is coming out FANTASTIC. Looks like a show car paint job!

I guess I should expect a comment like this from a MUSTANG owner.:D

well if you knew what you were doing why did you ask in here what to use???.... I know you can screw up a nice paint job by not knowing what your doin wet sanding an buffing....like burning threw the paint;)
Might have more than a Mustang here if Ford keeps on comin out with there new kick *ss cars :cool: Gettin tired of the Buick thing...gonna keep three of them an sell the rest:p

The reason I posted was I was wondering if someone else has found something that gave a great shine. You never know when something new comes out that works better. Am am using 3M products and the results so far are great.

As far as the Mustang goes I think you should sell it and get a GN.

A GN as in one (1)...kinda like a swap???? prob could buy 10 new GN's with that one crappy old Mustang :p really dont need anymore Buicks...have at lease 6 or 7 GNs now along with a few Turbo T's

I've always gotten great results with 3M products. Finesse-it, I think the part # is 05928 works great with a foam "waffle pad". If you aren't real sharp with a buffer, run a piece of masking tape down the edges, buff it, and hand compound the edges. The foam pads are great as long as you don't snag them on something, and you've got to darn near try to burn the paint. Good Luck!!

I just Zainoed my 16 year old Buick paint job and it looks better than I ever thought it would.It was a little time comsuming but well worth it.After you finish that sand and buff job I would highly suggest the Zaino products and stand back. hf....

Thanks for the input. I was already planning on using Zaino Bros products to finish up the shine. I used them on another GN I had and the results were great. I decided to wet sand this one first since it is a good paint job but has some orange peel.