What are the best EGT meters?

dboosted1

Now that I have installed Alky on my car i have been told tuning by O2's is like reading boost by looking at your boner...basically useless. What are the best egt meters and are the mechanical gauges such as the autometer egt gauge pretty accurate? I just want something nice and compact like a gauge but I know I will probably have to buy a digital hand held unit. thanks

Try going to a company called Tenma. I think the website is www.tenma.com . They have the dual EGT monitor for I believe $89.00. Look in the thermometer section. HTH.
BTW I had one and it worked great. The only problem was that I left it in the car for extended periods of time and the readout broke (couldn't see the numbers anymore). I'm going to be buying a new one soon. I'll be using it for EGT and Intake air temp. Later.

I think it's critical to have a "maximum temperature hold" capability on the meter -- you cannot be looking at the meter trying to remember what you *think* you saw at 100+ mph.

not sure I saw the "Max Hold" feature on the Tenma meter ...

Omega & Fluke also make high quality meters. Fluke is probably the 'cadillac' but is typ more expensive.

Dual channel is nice and doesn't add much meter cost. I'm in the process of setting up 2 thermocouples to monitor #5 and #6 cylinder EGT (many people feel those are the leanest, hottest burning, and most likely to detonate).

Go to www.tenma.com . Look under the thermometer section at digital thermometers. This is a dual channel monitor for $79.00 ( I stand corrected from previously :D ). If you look at the "More Details" section, it will give you the specs on this item. It does have a max hold function so you don't have to look at it while going down the track. It monitors the temp 2.5 times/sec. I think it is a good product. It also comes with a protective rubber housing around the monitor. But take a look for yourself as I don't get any kickbacks from them. I think for the price you can't beat it. As they say, "You Make The Call". :cool:

Tenma also has a single channel unit that can do 5 types of thermocouples, a Pt100 sensor, and has built-in infrared up to 750 or 1000 F, max/min recording, a rs232 port for datalogging, a laser pointer to show where the ir is pointing, and costs $149. Backlight comes on for 10 seconds when you push the button.

I just bought the kit from SMC and installed it and had it running in 1/2 an hour. Much better than chasing all over the place to put a kit together. I don't have time for that.

Is there any problem with the response time of these meters (or the thermocouples). I mean will they be able to keep up with the quickly changing exhuast temperatures?

I use a Tenma single input with an SMC probe kit. Simple. Not backlit, but that's what the max hold is for; look at it when you are on the return road with the dome light on worst case. BTW, set for max hold while you are in the lanes. I found out the hard way that max hold isn't max recall. Dumb, but it was my first experience with it. It's a very sensitive meter. I can rev the car in park and EGTs will rise and fall quickly.

Here's some pics: EGT meter
EGT probe

I run a Extech meter . Its back lit and has peak hold feature.# 421501Bought it through radio Shack for about 65.00.

I run an Extech single input with a SMC wire & probe. I bought it from my local Grainger store. Works well... has the large backlit display, and max temp feature. Plus, the case is all gray... a little more stealthy than the yellow Flukes.

-Banning.

I got a trade paper from MCM Electronics last week. They were having a dual probe Tenma meter on sale for about $50, extremely cheap. Check their website out.

Just looking at the specs for each, Extech/Tenma, I didn't see where the Tenma was battery powered. The only thing it showed was a 120v supply power input. I'm sure it must be also battery powered right?

Louie, what is the 421501 meter? Does not show up in the listing from a previous post?

paul

I use the Westach...very fast response with the upgrade therocoupler