You can type here any text you want

what are the possibilities for my 87 regal?!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

imkfly

Hi
I just did a vin decode on my car and it says i have a 3.8L V6 2BBL? What does that mean? 3.8 litre , v6 engine with a 2-barrel carb? or am i wrong? If so, can i just replace it with a 4 barrel carb? adding a turbo-regal's turbo, will it work? Can i swap with another motor, preferably a V8? will i have to change my trans to do so? what are the general upgrade capacities for this engine (38v6)? An answer to any of the questions is greatly appreciated...Thanx!

The intake is differant from a two barrel to 4 barrel:confused:.The only performance part of that drive train is the heads on that motor are turbo castings. The 200 trans can barely handle the stock engine.I would start getting a goal of what you want to do and then start looking around for parts.Going to a turbo drivetrain is not going to be cheap.Maybe find a buick 350 and go from there. good luck

Hi
I just did a vin decode on my car and it says i have a 3.8L V6 2BBL? What does that mean? 3.8 litre , v6 engine with a 2-barrel carb? or am i wrong? If so, can i just replace it with a 4 barrel carb? adding a turbo-regal's turbo, will it work? Can i swap with another motor, preferably a V8? will i have to change my trans to do so? what are the general upgrade capacities for this engine (38v6)? An answer to any of the questions is greatly appreciated...Thanx!

:confused: You had to decode your vin to find out it was carburated? I would have started by opening the hood :rolleyes:

:confused: You had to decode your vin to find out it was carburated? I would have started by opening the hood :rolleyes:

no no no... i meant that i decoded the vin to double check to see if that was the engine for my particular vehicle. a bunch of my friends all have 83-87 regals and GNs and all have diff types or motor trans setups.. one guy has 87 wit the v8 so i wanted to see if previous did a swap or sumtin

That's a can of worms. Just pull that V6 and tranny. Probably be cheaper to go the SBC route over a Turbo V6

"I just did a vin decode on my car and it says i have a 3.8L V6 2BBL?"

So, you're saying that the 8th digit of your VIN is "A"?
"A" = 3.8 2V carbureted (Buick 231"), distributor on front of engine.
"Y" = 5.0 4V carbureted (Olds 307"), distributor on back of engine.
"7" = 3.8 SEFI Turbo V-6 (Buick 231"), no distributor, coil pack/module on back of engine.

"I just did a vin decode on my car and it says i have a 3.8L V6 2BBL?"

So, you're saying that the 8th digit of your VIN is "A"?
"A" = 3.8 2V carbureted (Buick 231"), distributor on front of engine.
"Y" = 5.0 4V carbureted (Olds 307"), distributor on back of engine.
"7" = 3.8 SEFI Turbo V-6 (Buick 231"), no distributor, coil pack/module on back of engine.

exactly.

could always go carb turbo..... thats cheeper than a small block

LMAO
:biggrin:A.j.

and how would i go about looking into that? and above, somon said that my stock 200 tranny could barely handle the engine stock

and how would i go about looking into that? and above, somon said that my stock 200 tranny could barely handle the engine stock

It was kinda a joke.......

cause if you did the swap .... everybody would flame you to death.:eek:

but it actually could be done, if your serious... go to Before Black section.

:rolleyes:A.j.

corrupting them... one at a time.

It was kinda a joke.......

cause if you did the swap .... everybody would flame you to death.:eek:

but it actually could be done, if your serious... go to Before Black section.

:rolleyes:A.j.

corrupting them... one at a time.

LOL Aj hasn't had his meds today.:eek::biggrin: JK bud. Please come to the before black section and do some reading. You can bolt on a 4.1L 4 barrel intake and carb and get more power. If you want to add a carb/turbo set up it's a little more complicated but it can be done. Welcome aboard and have fun learning.:biggrin:

Back