You can type here any text you want

what are your air temps in the manifold?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
pure meth

I got 75*F @ 29 psi of boost in a 100*F day but I got a huge A2A and Julios meth kit:)

Originally posted by azgn
I do not believe input air temp to the turbo makes a bit of difference...in fact, any bends or extended tubing lengths would be a net disadvantage on a big turbo

I don't know of any air to air that will lower the temp over the course of a WOT run and I doubt such an animal exists.....prolly the more efficient IC's or air to water types would have a smaller change over ambient, but always positive temp increases

For every degree the IAT/MAT rises, so does the EGT.

If your talking about true MATs (Manifold Air Temp), I posted a data log where the MAT did drop during the course of a run.

Originally posted by TurboTR
There is a subtantial difference for the whole run with a good cold air pickup. I mean a good one that always only gets cool air, not just a path to outside air directed at the filter.

Plus, FWIW, last time my friend ran his low 11's/high 10's car with a PTE fm on it, in some unsually cool night air (for us), his did show a substantial drop in IAT during the 1st half of the run or so, Then IAT leveled off and started moved up from there. He has no cold air pickup and was leaving the line around 100 deg. He does have a FAST so we have logfiles that show this too if anyone cares. FWIW. YMMV.

Bingo.

What is needed to view a FAST log file?.
Could you just cut and paste it with some word document?.
If it needs the FAST software, do you know if it's that available for free to do that?.

Another thing to consider is the turbo inlet pressure. The higher the inlet pressure the lower the outlet temp. A forward facing turbo getting crammed with 160 mph air has a lower temp than the same turbo sucking through a 9" K&N under the hood.

Bruce: After the Hollidays, I can mail you the FAST software if you don't find it anywhere else.

Bruce, I don't not believe your measurements were taken during a WOT 1/4 mile pass?

My measurements are in the tb via FAST and during a 10 sec 1/4 mile pass

I still doubt much can be gained by ducting cold air to the turbo(short of a direct ram as mentioned by Cal) since almost all of the heat created is a result of the turbo and cooling that air is the function of the IC (and/or water alky injection)

I will run some tests and see what happens tho

Originally posted by azgn
Bruce, I don't not believe your measurements were taken during a WOT 1/4 mile pass?

My measurements are in the tb via FAST and during a 10 sec 1/4 mile pass

I still doubt much can be gained by ducting cold air to the turbo(short of a direct ram as mentioned by Cal) since almost all of the heat created is a result of the turbo and cooling that air is the function of the IC (and/or water alky injection)

I will run some tests and see what happens tho

Your right, there wasn't enough traction to do a full 1/4 mile pass, but there was not doubting the MATs were dropping.

*In the TB*?, how did you do that?, most are either in the plenum area, or up pipe.

To some 50dF EGT isn't a concern, to some it is.

actually, not the tb, the plenum.........

I'l post what I find out with "cold air" (such as it is in AZ) vs underhood filter

We're starting to get cold now.......

Current Conditions
-2°F
Fair Feels Like
-12°F
UV Index: 0 Low
Dew Point: -8°F
Humidity: 70%
Visibility: 10.0 miles
Pressure: 30.28 inches and rising
Wind: From the West at 5 mph

Brrrrrrr!!! Perhaps, it's time to pull that intercooler back off again!

Back