What cam for my combo?

Hognose

I was curious which cam I should get. I have stock heads. Also where to purchase. Thanks

Matthew

What are you trying to do with the car? Dont know why people are quick to say stock without knowing what your goals are.

The timing of a turbo cam is a little different from a cam for a normally aspirated car, but the same general rules hold true. Longer duration is good for high rpm, and will cut down on low end torque. A lot of overlap will hurt idle, even more than on a non-turbo car, but can help at high rpm. Since the Buick is not really a high rpm engine, the range of cams that can be used is not as wide, so that limits choices some. And do you want to go with a roller cam, to minimize the possibility of a wiped cam lobe? Most of the vendors will help you make a choice- Full Throttle, Jack Cotton, Weber Racing, etc. And they will have all the parts you need to make the installation. So decide what you want, and talk to the vendors.

Every 10 degrees more duration @.050 will move the powerband up roughly 300-500rpm. Run too much duration though, and now the cam wants to run in an area where the heads arent happy. Heads and cam must match if you want to get anywhere. I wouldnt run more than 10-15 degrees extra duration if you want to keep the stock heads, and dont plan on porting them.

I have a wiped cam lobe so I have to put a new one in. I just figured a small cam above stock couldn't hurt. Especially when I put a set of heads on in the (Hopefully) near future.

Thanks

Matthew

Hognose said:
I have a wiped cam lobe so I have to put a new one in. I just figured a small cam above stock couldn't hurt. Especially when I put a set of heads on in the (Hopefully) near future.

Thanks

Matthew
It would be good to check the lifter bores to see if they're worn out. If the lifter cocks, the leading edge can possibly scrape into the lobe and kill it. It will also cause the lifter to not spin properly.

If I'm not mistaking the stock cam is 193/197. I'm in the slowww process of re-builing my engine to basically a step or so above stock and my engine builder told me to buy TRW (Speed-Pro) 194/204 cam. However my heads can't be re-used (don't ask) so I'll be buying Champion irons. That said the gurus on this board are urging me to get a bigger cam to compliment the heads...considering Speed Pro 204/214.

Hognose said:

Thanks

Matthew

roller 212/212.. that way when you do the heads latter on.. wont have to mess with the cam.

Or any roller appox 210-214 range.

If you dont have the money to do the roller... then take your chances with a flat tappet. I have used the 212/212 Comp with great success.. what can I say.. cars are not cam sensitive.. but eating a cam.. is bad news.

Razor said:
roller 212/212.. that way when you do the heads latter on.. wont have to mess with the cam.

Or any roller appox 210-214 range.

If you dont have the money to do the roller... then take your chances with a flat tappet. I have used the 212/212 Comp with great success.. what can I say.. cars are not cam sensitive.. but eating a cam.. is bad news.

Thanks Julio,
Turns out that the wiped cam lobe and a broken timing chain tensioner was the culpret in my car and it's unimpressive performance. I will be putting this back together this weekend. Hopefully I should feel a very impressive differance. I will know times in April!

Thanks

Matthew

Theres no way I'll ever go flat tappet if I have to change the cam. I love hitting the go pedal and going fast. I HATE big labor intensive mechanical work, so I wont risk dealing with wiped lobes if I can help it. Roller all the way for me.

VadersV6 said:
Theres no way I'll ever go flat tappet if I have to change the cam. I love hitting the go pedal and going fast. I HATE big labor intensive mechanical work, so I wont risk dealing with wiped lobes if I can help it. Roller all the way for me.

I guess it depends on finances. My motor runs a flat tappet.. if I had a choice and money wasnt the issue.. the roller is a no brainer.

I think we all hate big labor intensive mechanical work ;)