You can type here any text you want

What chip if one at all should I use? I have no clue

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qa1755

Hey guys……….

Ok…..I have no clue as to what chip I should use, or if I could just stay with the stock chip. Here is my setup..........

1987 Grand National – 100% original and stock. This is a show car with less than 45k on it. This will NOT be a strip car, but a good street car. The Mod’s are being done now and are more so for maintenance and not for performance as much. I just don’t know if I will defiantly need to change my chip to compensate for the fuel pump and injectors or not and could use a little advise there. I know some will tell me to do this and do this and do alchy and stuff but I really take this to shows and cruise. But if I am egged on then I must step up to the plate.

Stock and keeping Stock:
Turbo
Downpipe- is stock to the cat
Trans & converter
Intercooler

Modified: Most if not ALL of these were done for maintenance
Fuel Pump – Walbro 340 /w Hot Wire Kit
Injectors – Green Stripe 30lbs
Fuel Regulator- Adjustable
Exhaust - High Performance Kirbans Cat with Flowmaster Exhaust
Air – K&N Air Filter

Thanks!!!!!!!

You won't have to change the chip with those mods but the driveability is improved with an updated chip. Another slick piece on a stocker is an RJC power plate. It helps prevent lean cylinders by redirecting the airflow in the intake manifold & really helps with detonation.

Thanks Under-P, just the advice that I am looking for. I have heard of the plate and will check it out. Any tips on where to start with the chip if I did upgrade? Get myself a scantool and see where I am lacking?

Thanks again.

If your car has a stock GM E-prom chip, you definitely need to get another chip for your combo as the timing tables that is has are not very friendly with todays reformulated unleaded gas. There are others who have reported detonation problems over the years with stock chips as the formulas changed. Back in the day, we used to be able to get away with running higher boost levels on straight 93 than we can with todays gas. Although it's not mandatory to change the chip, it will do wonders for driveability with the tricks in the new chip. Chip changes are typically only mandatory when you go with injectors larger than 30#ers.

I would recommend you do a good spring cleaning, change the fuel filter, O2 sensor and plugs, and then get in touch with Eric at Turbo Tweak for one of his chips for your combo. You will be very happy with the results.
Just my O2's worth.

Patrick

If your car has a stock GM E-prom chip, you definitely need to get another chip for your combo as the timing tables that is has are not very friendly with todays reformulated unleaded gas. There are others who have reported detonation problems over the years with stock chips as the formulas changed. Back in the day, we used to be able to get away with running higher boost levels on straight 93 than we can with todays gas. Although it's not mandatory to change the chip, it will do wonders for driveability with the tricks in the new chip. Chip changes are typically only mandatory when you go with injectors larger than 30#ers.

I would recommend you do a good spring cleaning, change the fuel filter, O2 sensor and plugs, and then get in touch with Eric at Turbo Tweak for one of his chips for your combo. You will be very happy with the results.
Just my O2's worth.

Patrick

This is great advice. Fuel has changed over the past 20 years and so has technology of the chips. You will be surprised how well the car idles and starts with a new chip. Plus if you ever decide to turn up the boost a pound or two you can add fuel with a programable chip like TurboTweak. Anyway not to go on and on in my opinion there is no question of if but when are you going to order it.

Hey guys……….

Modified: Most if not ALL of these were done for maintenance
Fuel Pump – Walbro 340 /w Hot Wire Kit
Injectors – Green Stripe 30lbs
Fuel Regulator- Adjustable
Exhaust - High Performance Kirbans Cat with Flowmaster Exhaust
Air – K&N Air Filter

Thanks!!!!!!!

'Bout the only thing I would change would be the injectors- I'd step up to the Mototron 60s, and Eric's chip.

Sine you want to be able to step up and own rice, another way to go may be with you current injectors and alky injection....

You need a new chip for sure, since you upgraded inj's! I agree with the above that chips have come along ways in 20 yrs. You will see a noticeable difference! Check out TurboTweak for an awesome chip!

Thanks guys for all this advice!!!! I appreciate the time!!! I am puting in a call today to TurboTweak!!!!!

Thanks again

Thanks guys for all this advice!!!! I appreciate the time!!! I am puting in a call today to TurboTweak!!!!!

Thanks again

Good decision and you should be very impressed. Just let Eric know what your goals are and he will custom taylor a chip for your needs.

Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

Back