What do you guys set your WOT on translater to?

GNRick

Retired member
I have the older version with just two dials, one for idle and one for WOT. What settings does your car like best? Also at what rpm (or tps?) does the translator consider you to be at WOT?

First, you have to realize that the knobs are NOT, IDLE and WOT. The ARE, BASE and WOT. The Base knob adjusts your timing across the entire band. The WOT knob will either add to or subtract from the Base when the threshold is reached, depending on whether you choose to add or subtract from the base.
If memory serves the WOT threshold is around 3400 rpm, although it could be some other trigger because I don't know how the basic translator would know what the engine speed is.

What works on one car may not work on the other. Change WOT setting to achieve desired AFR or o2 millivolt.

If the recall on the scanmaster is low, add fuel. If it's high, remove fuel.

Rick

Ooops forgive my ramblings! It was early and I hadn't had my morning coffee. I was talking timing and I see you were talking about the basic translator with just fuel knobs!!!
Rick took care of the proper response.

I have the older version with just two dials, one for idle and one for WOT. What settings does your car like best? Also at what rpm (or tps?) does the translator consider you to be at WOT?
What chip are you using?

Extender.
The fact that your Translator has two knobs doesn't mean it is old. They still market that product as far as I know. They used to also market one called Translator Plus. It gave us control of timing also. It has 4 adjustment knobs. If you had a Translator with 4 adjustment knobs you could call it old.
Your Translator doesn't know anything that is going on with your engine except for the amount of air entering it. When it sees a certain amount of airflow,it considers the engine to be operating at WOT and gives it a certain amount of fuel based on the program and adjustment knob.

The fact that your Translator has two knobs doesn't mean it is old. They still market that product as far as I know. They used to also market one called Translator Plus. It gave us control of timing also. It has 4 adjustment knobs. If you had a Translator with 4 adjustment knobs you could call it old.
Your Translator doesn't know anything that is going on with your engine except for the amount of air entering it. When it sees a certain amount of airflow,it considers the engine to be operating at WOT and gives it a certain amount of fuel based on the program and adjustment knob.
I see :)

Made some adjustments to translator over the last couple of days and I believe I found the "sweet spot". Idle setting is 5% rich and WOT setting is 4% rich. No more sputtering or black smoke out the back when getting on it. It had been set to 10% rich at WOT. Interesting note... with motor running I had set the idle to the 0 position and the check engine light came on giving me an O2 sensor code. When I switched it to 5% rich the ses light went out. So my car definitely did not like the 0 setting. At 2% rich at WOT, the car bucked and sputtered when accelerating. So what settings are other people using? I have 3" downpipe, 60 lb injectors, red's fuel pump, alky, 20 psi boost, Cotton's front mount.

017.jpg
2 of my cars have translators one has the 2003 version and one has a 2014 version
018.jpg

I put my basic translator to 8% rich at wot. This gets me 10.2-10.3 for afr. No change to idle setting and my afr at idle is 14.3-14.6

i think that is not advisable to change translator option with the engine running...
I dont think that it would matter? Just adjusting the percentages just skews the computers calculations to add that much or take away that much fuel no? Just assuming how it would logically work. So even while running it wouldn't matter.

Either way id probably just change it while the car is sitting with the engine off just to be safe.

It was kind of cool adjusting it with the car running. Check engine light came on so I knew the translator was working. Well I had a miss at 4% rich (WOT) so I turned it up to 6% rich. Had another miss so now it is at 8% rich. Can't drive it right now as I'm waiting for new shocks to arrive and I have the RF spring out for an apparent rubbing issue. Found out the rf Monro shock died after only 3 years. So I ordered 4 kyb's from Jegs.