You can type here any text you want

What does a properly working powermaster brake set up feel like?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
Ok this might sound like a dumb question....

But I've only owned one car with a powermaster brake system. All other vehicles I've ever owned or driven all had vacuum brakes, so I know what they're supposed to feel like.

I've never liked my powermaster, the way it feels when the pedal is pushed. I had a n/a Regal RWD with a vacuum set up that had a firm feel to it. The T's PM feels sort of like you're stepping on a plum. I've bled it and bled it, but it still feels the same...it still stops the car, just doesn't feel tight, but I don't know if that's what a powermaster typically feels like or not.

Let's suppose you have an 86-87 GN with a properly working powermaster and say an 86-87 regal with the vacuum brake set up. When you pressed the pedal, would they both feel the same in terms of braking, firmness of pedal, etc?

To me, vacuum brakes have a more assisted gradual lead in until clamping begins. With a PM or Hydroboost, it's just a hard pedal throughout the process. I have two cars with hydroboost (regal and mustang cobra) and two with vacuum (regal and a toyota). I much prefer the hydroboost pedal feel to a vacuum pedal feel. I think your plum reference describes it well. Really, the PM and hydro feel is not for everyone ... it's an acquired taste. ;)

If you had air in the lines, it would feel spongy and much different than your plum reference.

The main difference I notice between PM and Hydro is line pressure. The pedal feels similar but the increased clamping force is VERY noticeable with hydro. It begins the assist sooner in the pedal travel and really clamps down when you want it to.

So in other words, it's common for a vacuum assist unit to feel more firm than a powermaster? Or are you trying to say a powermaster or hydroboost should have more firmness in the pedal than a vacuum assist?

Yes, I suppose you could say that. PM and Hydro feel like you are just stepping on a tennis ball. Vacuum is more like a spring where you have increased resistance throughout the pedal travel. :)

Thanks....because mine has always felt like stepping on a plum...in fact the brakes in my n/a Regal were MUCH better, they'd stop the car on a dime.

I'm going to go buy my parts to do my hydroboost conversion....and wanted to sell the working PM, just wasn't sure if it's supposed to feel like it does or not.

Well, your pedal won't feel a ton different with hydro but you WILL notice the increased line pressure. Mine locks the wheels whenever I need it to. Around here, where yield signs don't exist and stop signs are treated like yield signs, I need them. haha

Can you also lock them up at say......80 mph?

With the PM that's on there now I can lock them up at low speeds like 40 mph or less, but on faster speeds not so much.

I will have to check. I have been watching a Dukes of Hazzard marathon, so I might give it a try. ;)

I just finished a hydro boost install using Vanco power brakes new kit. Mine was the proto type and it fits and works great. The braking performance is night and day better. I did some panic brake test from 60 mph and locking all 4 wheels is no problem and the brakes modulated great . It feels like my stopping distance is half what it was from the old powermaster and I am inc
control of the brakes where the powermaster at speed I could stand on thebrskes and it just started slowing with me hoping it stopped before I hit the sob that pulled out in front of me.

BOP4ever that sounds about like how my PM is.....Under 50 mph if I had to panic stop, it could and would lock up the brakes, but if I were doing 80 and did the same thing it would just come to a gradual stop. So yeah if an animal ran out and I was at high speed, he'd be a hood ornament. (I know....why should i be doing 80 +? :D)

Back