What does your GN or TT get for gas milage.

I get 22mpg straight highway, but that's in windy old Texas Panhadle...I get prob 15 or less in city as I have a tendency to boost getting on the highway :)
Would going back to the stock chip give a little more mpg, or do most chips run as lean as stock when crusing?

My 87 TR LTD got 15-16 in town and maybe 20 on the highway.
My first TTA got 25.6 mpg on the highway across Kansas with the A/C on and 16 in town.
My second TTA got 26.2 mpg on a 1500 mile trip and about 16 in town.

My stock TR gets 15 city and about 20 hwy. My unstock GN with a bigger turbo, downpipe, converter, injectors gets 11 city. However, I have Kirbans 16 inch wheels and a VDO speedometer/odometer in the GNX dash. I wonder if the odometer is calibrated for those wheels. The previous owner installed the dash. Does anybody have any experience with this issue?

If you run 245/50/16 size tires, the speedo doesnt need to be calibrated. They are the same height as the stock combo.

Jason

EDIT:Just re-read your post, and I see its an aftermarket unit. I'm not sure on that. If it was calbirated for the stock size however, it should be fine.

ajcgn said:
Thanks guys.
That means I'm around 10-12 miles per gallon City. :(
I think my 85GN was around 15 miles per gallon City. I don't mind the cost (not exactly an economy car), its having to fill up so bloody often. Lots of four way stop signs and stop and go traffic around here.
It should not matter how many gallons the gas tank can hold. The formula I use to figure out MPG is as follows:

I drove 200 nmiles since the last time I filled the tank and it just took 10 gallons when I filled it again. That means I drove 200 miles on 10 gallons of gas. I divide 200 Miles by 10 gallons and that gives me 20MPG.

What I do is mark where the odometer is set when I fill up, then I see how many gallons it took the next time I fill and divide the miles by the gallons. Does this make sense?

Quiky One said:
If you run 245/50/16 size tires, the speedo doesnt need to be calibrated. They are the same height as the stock combo.

Jason

Yes, that is the size on my car. I just wondered if you buy a new VDO speedometer if there is some way to get it calibrated? Or do you have a choice of speedometers based on wheel size?

darkred87T said:
It should not matter how many gallons the gas tank can hold. The formula I use to figure out MPG is as follows:

I drove 200 nmiles since the last time I filled the tank and it just took 10 gallons when I filled it again. That means I drove 200 miles on 10 gallons of gas. I divide 200 Miles by 10 gallons and that gives me 20MPG.

What I do is mark where the odometer is set when I fill up, then I see how many gallons it took the next time I fill and divide the miles by the gallons. Does this make sense?
-----------------------------------------
As all of these pumps shut off at different perceived "Full" levels, Using the same station and especially the same pump, and if there is any ground incline heading the car in the same direction, and approximating the same time intervals between shut off clicks will make a considerable difference towards accuracy checks in MPG readings. This of course is only possible if you are local to one area. When traveling or filling up at other pumps, having the car on level ground and approximating the time interval between shut off clicks is about as good as you can do.

O.K. but is there any better way for us to calculate MPG?
BTW the window sticker on my car says 17CITY and 25HWY. How are some of you getting better? Not that I'm calling anyone out, I was just wondering if there is a trick or something that I don't know abnout.

darkred87T said:

I guess my brain froze, I had to make up for the fact that we use litres up here. Plus, back in the old days when we did have gallons, they were imperial gallons which are larger than US gallons.

darkred87T said:
O.K. but is there any better way for us to calculate MPG?
BTW the window sticker on my car says 17CITY and 25HWY. How are some of you getting better? Not that I'm calling anyone out, I was just wondering if there is a trick or something that I don't know abnout.
-----------------------------------
Calculation is standard. Divide miles traveled by gallons taken to whatever incremental point used. IE: 217.5 miles traveled divided by 9.755 gallons of gas used. The trick is to determine as accurate as possible how much gas was used. The only or best way for that, other than labratory facilities, that I know of would be to determine that the amount of gas held in the vehicle at fill up is the same as the amount of gas held in the vehicle at the start of the test. The method that I described up above is the best that I know of for determining that the amount of gas in both instances is the same.

GNRick said:
Yes, that is the size on my car. I just wondered if you buy a new VDO speedometer if there is some way to get it calibrated? Or do you have a choice of speedometers based on wheel size?
My dad has a VDO electric speedo on his 72' GS and he had to set it by marking off a mile. He would hit a button at the start and at the end he hit the button again. His speedo is more accurate than any new car he has.