You can type here any text you want

What is a good tune?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboBuRick

Staff member
Case and point. Installed a wideband on a freinds car and took it out for a ride. WOT AFR shot to 15-16! Ended up replacing fuel pump and installing a hot wire kit. That got WOT AFR down to 12's. Better but still not right. Next we took a look at the chip and translator. The dip switches in the translator were set wrong for the current chip. Set them the right way and went for a blast. WOT AFR are now down in the upper 10's low 11's.

There is really not much to "tune" on these cars. Setting boost, timing and fuel are more about making sure the components are working correctly. 9 out of 10 these cars have issues that the owners know nothing about. Once the issues are ironed out the car basically tuned itself.....

People make a big deal about who tunes their car. Like they have a magical ability to make it run. The magic is more about ironing out issues than actual "tuning". WOT tuning is easy. It's all the other little issues that hold things back.

Rick

Case and point. Installed a wideband on a freinds car and took it out for a ride. WOT AFR shot to 15-16! Ended up replacing fuel pump and installing a hot wire kit. That got WOT AFR down to 12's. Better but still not right. Next we took a look at the chip and translator. The dip switches in the translator were set wrong for the current chip. Set them the right way and went for a blast. WOT AFR are now down in the upper 10's low 11's.

There is really not much to "tune" on these cars. Setting boost, timing and fuel are more about making sure the components are working correctly. 9 out of 10 these cars have issues that the owners know nothing about. Once the issues are ironed out the car basically tuned itself.....

People make a big deal about who tunes their car. Like they have a magical ability to make it run. The magic is more about ironing out issues than actual "tuning". WOT tuning is easy. It's all the other little issues that hold things back.

Rick
Too much spark timing will get guys in trouble, but as you said some stuff is obvious.

Agreed but the only way that happens if you have the wrong chip. Aftermaket ecm's are another story...

I agree, but this is a very simplistic statement to a complex model. Near stock power levels on a chip car . . . .True.

Start adding variables and push to +600, and the story is a bit different IMO. IOW . . . If the combo was capable of putting down +600 and the tuner went WOT at 15:1 to find issues, the damage may be irreversable. Truth is; People blow stuff up even if the mechanical systems are up to par.

All I know from my readings is this: There are alot of "tuners" out there who are very good and very efficient at head gasket replacement.

Last edited:
Installed a wideband on a freinds car and took it out for a ride. WOT AFR shot to 15-16!
I agree with getting the mechanical things to work is key, but a afr move like this would melt down a strong combo in an eyeblink.

Yea it's easy for a chip maker to determine a/f @ WOT (if you run the boost the chip is programed for)...keeping the fuel trims with 5% is key...I log up and down hills ...city driving...and stop light to stop light...

Back